Computer issue which oculd possibly be related to OC'ing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mithrandir

Solid State Member
Last night I had lowered my original RAM latencies from 3-5-5-5 to 2-3-5-5. Oh and yes, my ram is a kit of 2x512mb Kingston. In addition I increased the Voltage by +0.2V, in order to keep the OC stable, because when I previously tried, Battlefield 2 would crash to the desktop. Everything was going fine on BF2, i was playing as the MEC and winning so then I went to bed. I seemed to of have forgotten that I OC'ed my P4 from 3.2Ghz to 3.85 with a voltage of 1.4250.

Now as I write this post this morning, it is after my computer will fail to start. Normally my computer will go to the screen where windows xp checks the Dual Interleaved memory or something like that, then after that it would go to device check Master, slave etc then it would go to the windows xp loading screen. However, now it just stops at the first screen and fails to enter bios and fails to enter Xpress Recovery (F9). My current Video card is a PCI-E X850 PRO ASUS, though I overclocked it once, I think this is irrelavant.

I am quite sure that the problem is that my RAM has been destroyed, and/or (hopefully not) my hard drive has been corrupted. I could very well be wrong. A solution to this problem would be a bonus but all I really would like to know is what part of my hardware is damaged from overclocking so that I can replace it.

Thanks in advance

That is what I had tried to do but when I try to enter the system BIOS, it just says "prepare to enter setup..." and it just hangs there. My computer has a temperate guage on the front of it and my CPU temp was 25, Motherboard was about 18 or 19. So I am quite suer that they are not at fault, but if it was my power supply the computer would not be able to turn on at all would it?

If you can suggest a way to reset bios which does not require entering them that would be appreciated, although I beleive no such way is available.

I am terribly sorry for this double post but I forgot to mention that my Power Supply Unit has an output of 450W. Thanks

have you tried resseting cmos???.... you don't reset through bios.. look through your motherboard manual.. if you can't figure that out, pull out the lil circle battery for about 10 seconds then pop it back in

Ah yes I see it, it looks like a watch battery? Just one more question before I commit to this dangerous task, after the BIOS is cleared what happens then, would I need a start up recovery disk for I am afraid I do not have one. I lack knowledge on this subject for this has never happened to me before so I am terribly sorry to be so blunt.

no, nothing bad will happen, it will just resest bios settings.. you will not need to update bios again.. it will just reset clock settings, voltage and your time

I am using another computer to write while I try to remove the battery. I am trying to pull it out but to no avail. Do I unscrew it or is there a lever?

well must batteries have a little groove where its place in.. and you just push along there, and the other end just pops up... easy as that... but there should be a cmos jumper located on the motherboard...

http://techreport.com/reviews/2003q3/shuttle-sn45g/cmos-jumper2.jpg

its that yellow thing, they're almost always located next to the battery... you just switch it from its position... there's 1 pin sticking out.. you switching it so its left-center (right sticking out) to center-right (left sticking out) or vise versa... you switch places for about 10 seconds

Yes, now the BIOS have been cleared, but now windows will refuse to load.Tried starting in safe mode, to no avail and tried the "Last known good setting" and that won't work either. Any suggestions? You guys have been a great help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom