built a computer and now i'm sad...

Status
Not open for further replies.
aliasaid said:
try what flash dude recommended, pulling out either stick of ram and testing in diferent slot, and reset cmos, etc etc.. if all else fails..

get something like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104953

Dido..also make sure your video card is seated, take it out and put it back in...check ALL connections, turn on monitor:D .......think simple stuff first , but yeah get a better PSU...

wait, are you getting one short beep?

if that's the case, the motherboard is saying "all is okay"

if that's the case, I would say the monitor isn't getting a signal from the video card.

*edit*
on a side note, 350W is still not very good regardless. even if the PSU isn't faulty now, chances are it will be down the track. especially if it's one that came with a case.

one short beep

yup, it was one short beep, but that only occured when i had only the main power supply hooked up Oo... when i realized i missed the 4pin and connected it, my comp would start and stop in a second...

i think i figured it out, it was a good power supply :) but not strong enough... i think...

need a bit more help, but i've collected all the info i think you'll need to make a good decision :D

pentium d 840 is an 05B in the Compatibility Guide...
motherboard is 05B and 04B (and As for both)...

Power supply requirement for 12V rail for an 05B is:

16A continuous, 19A peak for 10ms.

My original Ultra V 350 watt PSU had only 7A Steady State and 18A peak. So quite far off...

My new question is this:

I bought a new PSU, this time an Ultra Xfinity 500 watt.

It's specs are 8.5A Steady State and 18A peak. However it is dual rail...

the requirements for an 05B Extreme Edition is:

two 12v rails each rated at: 8A continuous, 11A for 10ms.

if i can assume that 05B Extreme Edition is a more power hungry version of 05B (can i make that assumption?) then my new power supply should have more than enough juice... assuming of course that the specs for my Ultra Xfinity are describing each of the dual rails individually...

so, a really long post, lots of assumptions, but hopefully someone will wade through that all... i really wanna get this comp going.

and from the sounds of it, after i fix this PSU problem i have a beef with my video card not displaying to my monitor as well, lol.

one step at a time i guess :)

btw, this board has been super awesome, super friendly, and super helpful. thanks!

progressively less sadboy

ok, i just attached my new power supply... still the same thing happens. i've disconnected everything, so there's only a motherboard, cpu, psu, and vid card. when i turn on the power all i get is a flash of led and a fan twitch. and then nothing :(

more suggestions please

a much more sadboy

stupid question... do you have at least one stick of ram in?

take the mobo out of the case and try it. put it on the box it came in and set it up to run... it sounds as if it's shorting out inside the case some where.

ya i have ram in :) forgot that part, hehe...

2 things:

at first, i forgot to plug in the 4pin secondary power supply thing to the mobo... everything runs when i do that (except i don't get anything on my monitor) when i realized and plugged in the secondary line this started happening, so i don't think it's shorting or it wouldn't have worked when i only had the 24 pin in rite?

second, could my forgeting to put the 4pin in at first have damaged my cpu, which is now rewarding me with this nonsense?

naaaa... not pluggin in the 4-pin wouldn't damage anything. have you tried anohter cpu in it to see if it does it still? I had a bad cpu and I didn't know it. it gave me very similar problems. eveything starts up but no video...

are you still getting the single beep? leaving the cpu 4pin plug unplugged wouldn't hurt anything. I didn't think it was the psu. If you are not getting any beeps then try resetting the cmos and/or pull the battery. Have you tryed that? If you are not getting any beeps then remove everything that is attached to the board (all ram, all ide cables, floppy cables, video card and any add on cards) just leave the power connectors and if your speaker is hooked up properly it should beep like a mofo at you if not the board is toast.

Have you inspected the mboard for any burn marks? Does it stay lit up> Or does everything shut off?? fans etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom