Am2 or Conroe

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFAIK, AM3 isnt going to come out anytime soon. Id give it until K8L Dual Cores come out in mid-2007. Dont wait for it if youre thinking about building a computer right now.

As for Conroe, I dont see why you shouldnt get it if its in your budget. Its true that its hard to find a lot of good motherboards for them, but you dont need a lot of good motherboards. You only need one in every budget class, and there are good ones for every budget class.

The processors themselves are great. Theyre better than what the Opteron 165 was. Anandtech just did a review of the ASUS P5B-Deluxe motherboard. It was able to reach 525Mhz FSB (while others stop at 370) and allowed a [retail, B2] E6300 to reach 3.68Ghz. That was a full 100% overclock, and higher than what a supposedly cherry-picked B1 E6700 was able to achieve.

Granted the motherboard costs $260, and the processor $193, but when you get performance that no AMD processor has ever matched, its something to think about.

I tried to answer your original question, but like Vaderpro said, the links dont work so I dont know how your budget would fit a Conroe.

I plan on buying everything near christmas. I just want the best motherborad for conroe. that overclock very well. In a range of $175-$225. I like to keep as cheap as I can. I may also go crossfire so I also need a borad that has crossfire. Am3 borads seem to be a long wait. For me my wait is 4-5 months. Just tell me what I need and I will try to get it.

Dr DMoney said:
Well, yeah until amd plays catch-up. Once they will be back in first with cheaper prices.

Highly doubt AMD is going to outperform Intel in the price to performance ratio anytime soon. Conroe is an extremely efficient and impressive showing for Intel.

Spartan666 said:
Highly doubt AMD is going to outperform Intel in the price to performance ratio anytime soon. Conroe is an extremely efficient and impressive showing for Intel.
I'm not sure I agree with that, AMD will do it again.

HomicidalWookie said:
I'm not sure I agree with that, AMD will do it again.

You think AMD has always been the best company and Intel is just temporarily taking the lead? It's actually the other way around. AMD took the lead for a few years and now Intel has it's lead back. Don't expect AMD to take the lead for years.

NeedAcpu said:
You think AMD has always been the best company and Intel is just temporarily taking the lead? It's actually the other way around. AMD took the lead for a few years and now Intel has it's lead back. Don't expect AMD to take the lead for years.

Somewhat.... AMD has not been as well marketed as Intel but always right there, just no-one knew about them or trusted the name...

yes intel all the way for at least a couple years now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom