New mobo power issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

smackfan76

Solid State Member
Hello everyone. I dont know if this one was posted before because I couldn't find it anywhere, but the problem i'm having is, I recently bought this motherboard off the internet. It's a VIA SIS740 WITH 2.2 GIGAPRO CPU. I know it's not the greatest mobo but for what my daughter needs it for, it's good enough. The problem is, when I plug it in, the only thing I get from it is power to the mobo. The monitor wont turn on or anything. The only thing that happens is the fan on the processor is running. No beeps or sounds or anything. I tried unplugging everything from it (HD, CD ROM, Floppy) and running it and still nothing. Nothing on the monitor or anything. The only thing that I have connected is the power supply to the mobo, the monitor and the RAM. Now the only thing that I could think of that could be wrong is the power supply is only 250 watts. I'm not sure if that's too low of wattage. I'm trying to upgrade the mobo from an 850MHz and I figured I could just use the same case and PS from that. I just figured that even if 250 watts was too low to run everything, that it might be enough power to at least get me into CMOS. Thanks for any suggestions you all have.

No. There's no 4 pin connector on this one. Do you think that it could be that the PSU is only 250 watts?

250 watts may be adequate for your setup...What are you running under that PSU? Also, have you tried resetting your CMOS? Try taking out the RAM, and replacing it with another stick you might have around the house. Since the machine doesn't even POST, a number of hardware devices could be defective. It could either be the processor, motherboard, RAM, or PSU. Try swapping out the PSU before you try anything else.

I've reset the CMOS already. That didn't do anything. I took out the memory sticks and that didn't do anything either. I have a 400 watt PSU in my other computer that i'm gonna try when I get a chance. If that don't work, I'll try try the RAM out of that computer also. And I talked with tech support where I ordered the motherboard and they think it's the processor so they're sending me a new one. I'll post an update when I try these things out.

OK. Here's what I have now... I tried the 400 watt power supply from this computer that i'm using now and it still did the same thing. Then I tried a 256MB stick of RAM also from this computer that I know works and it did the same thing. So now the only thing that I can do now is wait on the new processor and see if that will do anything. In the mean time, if anyone has any other suggestions that they think might work, i'll give it a try. Thanks for all the help.

The problem is fixed. There were 2 things wrong...first one was the processor. After I put it in, I finally got something on the screen. Then I couldn't get anywhere because the CMOS battery was dead. I replaced the battery and everything works fine now. Thanks for all your help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom