built a computer and now i'm sad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadboy

Solid State Member
Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me out, this one is tricky! three cheers for whoever can find out what is going on.

Okay, I just finished building my comp... specs:

Pentium D 840
Intel D945Pvs Motherboard
ATI Radeon X1300 Pro
Mushkin 1G Dual Channel RAM

Plus an LG DVD/CD and a Seagate HDD...

Anyways, this is what's wrong...

To start: I boot it up, but nothing appears on the screen... fans are going, leds are nice and blue, i hear a single beep at the beginning. just nothing on the screen... keyboard also lights up for a second at boot up, and my optical mouse is working...

So I figure something must be wrong. I look in my computer and sure enough, I only did the main power supply connection to the mobo... i missed the 4-pin one... so i plug that in, close her up, and scross my fingers.

To my horror, not only is there nothing on the screen, but the LED on the cpu fan flashes for a second, the fan twitches, but nothing moves... so i'm actually worse off having plugged in the 4-pin secondary power supply thingy...

Needless to say i'm aweful confused. anyone think they know what's going on?

omg... this is the EXACT same thing that happend to me about a month ago

I think your problem is being caused by the powersupply

Either its fried or just not puttin enough juice out for your computer

I suggest getting a new one

This is what i got:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153023

I have a 6800gs 1gb ram and a p4 and its plenty for me + its cheap ;)

Good luck, i hope this solves your problem... if it doesnt pm me

hmm.. okay, i currently have a 350 wat psu... i used a calculator and it said i was good, maybe i should look into getting a better one. thanks!

Yeah, you definately want a stronger one. Don't go cheap on the PSU, go with a good brand power supply, it'll pay off in the end,

yeah... 350 is like bare minimum, i had a 450 and i still didnt have enough juice

It really doesnt matter how many watts it has, its how strong the rails are. I dont know how good is good, but that one that i gave you a link to is the best for the price

update

hey guys, i was mucking around last night before bed looking at the power supply... turns out it is a ATX 2.03 and ATX 12V v1.2. Unfortunately, my motherboard requires an ATX 12V v2.0+. Could this be the reason nothing stays on for more than a second?

Could this also be why when things did start (forgot to plug in the 4-pin) that i was getting a beep, but a blank screen?

Thanks for your continued help guys :)

-less, but still, sad boy

If you are still getting a beep then yes try a powersupply. From the sounds of it you are using the psu that came with the case and this is a major no,no! If you try another psu and you still get nothing and your board is still beeping then you will have to try a new video card. I am not sure but does the x1300 have a four pin molex psu connector on it and if so do you have it hooked up?

nope, i don't think it has a molex psu connector..

actually i'm using a Ultra V Series 350W ATX power supply... it had a lifetime warranty so i figured it was good :\

does anyone know any reputable PSU makers who make ATX 12V version 2.0+?

thanks everyone! XD

The ultra V series is actually not to bad of a PSU, (let the hating begin, lol) try removing your ram one at a time and try it in different slots. Reset the cmos and/or pull the mobo battery. And double check the main atx 20/24 connector on the board. Reseat the video card and try another video card (even if you have an old pci video card laying around that would work fine)

ya i don't think it's ultra v's fault, i think i just bought a psu that isn't compatible with my motherboard...

mobo requires ATX 12V version 2.0 or greater
ultra V is ATX 12V version 1.2

:( so i guess i'm in the market for another psu, lol. probably gonna get an ultra X-Finity lol... they're ATX 12V version 2.2 i believe...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom