sigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaara

Fully Optimized
My memory controller officially sucks, I started having problems a few days ago and have had to go back to square one. I already know my memory controller has issues with 180 and 166 dividers as well as running a cas of 3, but now it won't even run a cas of 2.5

I've hit a wall at 235*9:
1.4v + 104%
2-3-3-5 1T 2.6vdimm

I try 240*9 and it BSODs before I can even get to windows, and I try loosening cas to 2.5 and prime95 fails right away. I don't want to RMA as I know they're going to send me back a crappy stepping and I know this core is capable of 3GHz, this memory controller is just a POS

So here is my scenario and my options:

I know the memory is capable of 317MHz and probably a lot further if I could simply use a cas of 3. I know the core is capable of 3GHz and possibly further. In order to run at 3GHz though I need 333*9 which of course my RAM cannot handle 1:1. Since I cannot use 180 or 166 divider in order to run at 3GHz my RAM has to sit around 250MHz which is unacceptable. So basically I can either:

-take my chances with an RMA
-sell this core and try and get my hands on a stepping of equal or greater potential
-run core at 3GHz with RAM severely underclocked

welcome to my world baka!! HAHAHAHAHA!! But jyeah....You know about my inability to use CAS 2.5 for quite some time now. It sucks....and not only is this a RMA'd pair of memory sticks, but it's also been on my venice core and this opteron

this is complete crap, I have RAM that has the potential to run through the roof and I have a CPU that has equal potential, but try and run them together like that and they start messing with each out

I guess I'll try flashing BIOS later tonight and hope that fixes it

I'm talking with OCZ tech support so hopefully they'll be able to help me as they have in the past, this is such shit though

what kind of ram do you have.. i know its ddr600, but what brand... i really wanted ddr600.. but now i can't even use my ddr500 to its limit because of this crappy stepping i got... but, still 1 thing i havent tried because i still don't know what i'm doing.. and thats timing...

i'm not sure.. but i think mine is running at 3t... i should try for 2.5... i'll probably have me an overclocking session tonite if its not too hot

wow.. just looked at the site... incredible ram...

Interesting...

300htt.jpg

We are very confused

well I fixed it, flashed to a different BIOS and gave the RAM a bit more voltage

Now on top of that I can use a cas of 3...so in reality, because of this problem and my lack of faith hitting 1:1 at 3GHz, I am now in a position to make that a reality

cool :D

with your failed prime above (i assume it failed rather than you stopped?) i'm guessing that wasn't memory related otherwise it would be unlikely each instance would fail near each other but still a minute or so apart.........that's only a guess though. because in my experience any memory related issues cause some pretty wild errors like BSOD's almost instantly or just complete instability. and an unstable dual core fails almost exactly like your screenshot. any more problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom