Graphics and PSU issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_Wall_117

In Runtime
When a graphics card requires a power supply that rates 30 on the 12v rail, is it possible to use it with a PSU that has two 12v rails, both rating at 20?

I need to know because I am thinking about getting the X1900XTX, and my PSU meets the wattage requirements, but it only has 20 on each of its rails. As a matter of fact, no PSU I looked at on newegg rated that high on the 12v rail...

Also, the requirements assume a fully loaded system, but mine is far from that. It will only have at most 2 optical drives (most likely just one), and one hard drive, and possibly a FDD, that defiately isnt loaded compared to what you guys are running ;).

the terms get all muddled and confused...the avg and pretty much all psus are around 20-24...so you should be fine.

I think the industry needs to finalize some of this stuff so people...and posers! :p stopp telling others, things like, "Due you need 50 on that 12v rail" yada yada yada :)

Just keep this in mind, the most technical sites that don't spew gibberish, say a 400watt psu can handle a fully loaded system. This is taking into accounts not overclocking and no dual vga set ups. But go more if ye wish

ya.. that 30 amps assumes a fully loaded system.. like 3 hdd's 3 cd drives... overclocked cpu.. soundcard.. networkcard and a bunch of junk like that... and when it asks about amps... think of it as the combined amps and not just on 1 single rail... i run 38 amps (dual rail) so 19 each, and my x1900xt runs just fine

atomic tofu said:
the terms get all muddled and confused...the avg and pretty much all psus are around 20-24...so you should be fine.

I think the industry needs to finalize some of this stuff so people...and posers! :p stopp telling others, things like, "Due you need 50 on that 12v rail" yada yada yada :)

Just keep this in mind, the most technical sites that don't spew gibberish, say a 400watt psu can handle a fully loaded system. This is taking into accounts not overclocking and no dual vga set ups. But go more if ye wish

Thanks. I assumed that it would be OK because ATI assumes a fully loaded system when determining minimum requirements, so I should be able to run the card on one rail with something small like a few fans, and run everything else off of the other. That way, I may be able to pull a small overclock on my 64 X2 4600+.

Funny that nosboost waits till while I'm typing ot post, he basically said what I just said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom