4200+ or 4800+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpy

Beta member
Hey guys new to the forums,
But looking for some advice, I’ll be building a new computer soon and the CPU's have just been dropping in price like crazy. I am currently stuck between either an AMD 4200+ or a 4800+. Now all I really see as a difference is the 1mb per core vs 512kb per core and 200Mhz. That was one of the few things I never really understood when it came to CPU’s the “cores” :confused: I know there important but there is a good $120 price difference. What do yawl think?

^^ that appears to be for socket AM2. he's considering the 4800+, which i believe is only for socket 939.

anyways... i don't think the $120 difference justifies the 4800+.. although it is a great chip... i guess it depends on your funds..

Thx for all the input. Iv used intel in every system iv built up to this date and i really want to give AMD a try. Iv hear nothing but good things about AMD when it comes to games. Crysis will be coming out soon and thatÂ’s pretty much the whole reason for building this new system.
Also this CPU is 939 socket and i had planned on running 2GB of OCZ DDR500. Should i scratch this and go up to AM2? Because it was my understanding that unless you run the top of the line DDR2 Memory there really was not much of a difference.

Well if your going 939 (which you should because it's seen better days) and your overclocking then get that ram otherwise get pc3200 400MHz. If you going with AM2 get some nice DDR800 ram with nice and low timings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom