Alienware processor probs

Status
Not open for further replies.

preload

Solid State Member
I am thinking about getting an alienware but i have a question about the processors.

The Laptop I am looking at has the 1.6ghz Centrino Duo processor. Now say I have a game that requires a MINIMUM of 2.0ghz to run.

(1)Is the core duo going to be able to run it pretty well? (less clock speed = less heat = more speed?),

the games i have is MotoGP 3, Thief 3, DOOM 3, DAoC(all add-ons), City of Heroes, Mu Online, Oblivion,etc

(2)Will it run these at least medium graphic settings with ease?

I've heard that these games have no support of the dual core, and that if I ran one, it would run extremely slow. Also I have been told the Core Duo's have a lot of problems and glitches still. Should I buy a laptop with this processor?

The laptop is the:

Alienware Area-51 m5550:

Intel core duo T2300 1.66ghz, 667mhz FSB
1gig ram
Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s 5,400 RPM w/ NCQ & 8MB Cache
128MB ATI Mobility Radeon X1400

i might be able to fork out the extrao 200 for the 1.83ghz but for what i want, will it be worth it?

I have asked everywhere, surely someone has a core duo running one of these games...

please help.

The processor is fine, the graphics card is going to choke with most everything though

If you want to game, get a desktop. If you need a laptop for portable use get a refurbished Pentium 3 or something, the battery life might suck but it does everything a word processing email machine needs to do, and get a desktop with the money you've saved. You will thank yourself

What if I upgraded the video to a 256mb NVidia GeForce Go 7600?

I hotspot because there is only dial-up in my area and the max connection i usually get(even paying extra for accelerators) is 28.8, maybe 33.6k..

So are you sure the processor could run those games?

getting a promotional discount so the total for this system:

Alienware Area-51 m5550
Intel core duo T2300 1.66ghz, 667mhz FSB
1gig ram
Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s 5,400 RPM w/ NCQ & 8MB Cache
256mb NVidia GeForce Go 7600
CD/RW and 8x DVD combo drive

total after discounts comes to $750 approx. Good deal for a lap to me.

Even though I can get it for this lower price, is it going to be able to run what I want with little problems?

Doom 3 and especially Oblivion will eat it for lunch. That only barely qualifies as a gaming laptop at all, IMO.

I would advise against buying a gaming laptop. Desktops are much cheaper, as the guy said above me, just buy a refurbished P3 laptop for word processing etc

ok. sounds good. i'll just find a refurbished one. tigerdirect.com and newegg.com good places?

Just a question though, does 256mb NVidia Go 7600 or the 128mb Radeon X1400 perform better?

Do they both support pixel shading or vertex shading?

I've always wondered about those "itegrated graphics cards".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom