What happens to on-board graphics card or sound card if an external one is installed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rawan AbuSalman

Daemon Poster
Hi,

I was just wondering...what will happen to the onboard graphics card if an external one was installed???

What about a sound card???

10x!

There is no such thing as an "external" video card. I'm assuming your talking about adding one into the expansion slot, such as PCI, PCI-e, or AGP. For newer computers, the BIOS will automatically detect that another video device is plugged in and will disable onboard video appropriatly. For older ones, you'd have to either disable onboard video in the BIOS, or disable it in the Device Manager. Same goes for the sound card. When installing a new video card, make sure you uninstall the drivers for the onboard video. Turn off the computer, and install the video card. When you boot up, Windows will automatically detect the new hardware, and you would put in the disc and install all the necessary drivers. Any questions?

on my K8V-MX, if you install an AGP card, the onboard card is automatically disabled.

on some motherboards, you have to disable the onboard video card in the BIOS before you can use the PCI/AGP/PCI-E card

but when you install a new sound card, the old sound card is never disabled unless you disable it in the BIOS
however if you install a new sound card, you can still use the new card even if the onboard card is not disabled.
simply install the new card, and windows will automatically use the new card instead of the onboard.
but you do have the option of switching to the onboard card (within Windows) - not that you'd want to do that

thanx guys....

(ya, I meant adding one to the expansion slot....i meant external as in not onboard...)

thanx again...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom