inatey

In Runtime
I have a sony vaio laptop

its a p3 1.13ghz
256 ram
30gig hdd (hitachi)
intel 32mg graphics
dvd/cd-rw combo

it wont boot, straight up. it goes to windows loadings creen and the loading bar moves for a while then it just goes black and does nothing. i then hold the power button it restarts and comes up with the windows did not boot properly.

safe mode = stops as mup.sys
others (including last known good config) black screen.

i have done a memtest86. no probs

any other ideas?

i cant boot from cd, in the bios it is possible to set cd as a boot option but it wont boot anyway, besides, the laptop didnt come with a windows cd just sony recovery cds, and i want to avoid formating= lose some files.

any help would be much appriciated

i thought i said it, but i cant boot form cd, live linux is out, and i want to avoid formating, there are some files i dont wanna lose, any other ideas?

why can't you boot from a cd?? change the boot order in the bios. don't know the bios key? the vaio splash screen should tell you which key if not try the delete key, tab key, and esc key if not,, mash the keyboard when its booting. you could try a none distructive reinstall. But you must be able to boot from a cd.

crap I missed that! If its set to boot from the cd is the splash screen covering the press any key to boot from cd.

perhaps this will help

Hi my XP Pro system got the mup.sys error just out of the blue today. Here's what I did:
1. Ran XP setup and logged onto my C:\windows
2. EXPANDed the d:\i386\mup.sy_ file to C:\windows\system32\drivers folder

after a failed reboot or two I then followed the advice of whoever wrote about pulling out their mouse lead during safe mode boot.
I was running a Logitech cordless mouse off that system at the time and I did the following to get XP to boot successfully:

1. made sure ACPI, Plug & Play, USB all enabled in BIOS

2. moved mouse from the ps/2 port to the first USB port
3. booted using safe mode
4. waited until it hung at Mup.sys
5. removed the mouse cable from the USB port
6. (3 seconds or so pass, the screen went black and safe mode appeared)
7. restarted system
8. booted normally into XP Pro

sorry, i dont understand that part.

1. Ran XP setup and logged onto my C:\windows
2. EXPANDed the d:\i386\mup.sy_ file to C:\windows\system32\drivers folder

hit f10 and do a viao system restore (recovery)

don't refomat. in the morning I will walk you through reinstalling windows on that laptop.

you should have a i386 folder on your C drive that you can reinstall xp with

download you a bart pe cd or an erd commander 2005 cd.

sorry i thoughti replyed but i hadnt. i assume you mean f10 during startup but that did nothing... so i couldnt to any :restore

I forgot about this. make a bart pe cd. boot from it. look to see if you have an 1386 folder. double click the winnt.exe file to reinstall xp. you should copy that 1386 folder to a usb hdd and install xp from there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom