maxtor, westren digital or Seagate ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard that WD and Seagate are the best brands, although I have a Maxtor and i haven't had any problems for nearly a year of use. If you wanna be on the safe side, go with either WD or Seagate.

btw - 100th post :D

~shando

I heard Seagates had the least failure rates, but both Seagate and WD are the top brands of hard drives.

I have all 3 in PC's in the house now, so I can say with out a bias view. :D

My Seagate (80GB in my PC) is quite load, but is fast and has been reliable. I did blow up the original seagate hdd (it caught on fire when I plugged it into a friends PC that had a generic PSU.) I recieved a new drive in 5 working days, where it was shipped to another country, and couriered back. Very pleased with that.

My WD (250GB In my PC) is the most silent drive I have used, it literally doesn't make a noise when on full load, it is faster than the 80GB but not by a large margin that is expected by having denser platters. It is also a wierd annodised black one. But I have used WD before and the build quality was shocking and they were not as quiet.

Maxtor (160GB in my brothers PC) drives have been reliable. I only use them where they are considerably cheaper and am on a tight budget. They are of medium volume and speed.

I've heard great things about Western Digital but I went seagate because I've had the most experience with them and their drives seem to be generally less expensive.

I have 3 seagate drives in my puter right now

Ive only ever used Maxtor so I cant comment on WD or Seagate, but Ive never had a problem with Maxtors, except that they run a bit warm. Ran the same hard drive for three years and not even a bad sector.

I will rarely use anything other than Seagate. I currently have 3 Seagates, 1 WD, and my father has a Maxtor as a backup, and the Maxtor has crapped out once, my Seagates not a single time (not even a peep! they are really quiet) nor my WD.

All my maxtors gone out or are going out, my server has 3 maxtors, there all going on and off, bad connection or something, the seagates run cool compared to my maxtor, and my WD in my sisters computer runs a bit loud but its an OLD drive, 15Gb but hasn't failed and runs cooler than the seagate. Also Seagate and Maxtor are now the same company aint they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom