E6600 overclocking results :-P

Status
Not open for further replies.
The General said:
Yeah EasyTune5 doesn't work on my computer, I dunno why. I installed it from the CD, but it runs "GUI.EXE" for a few minutes, then I see a flash of the program and it all crashes. Maybe the BIOS update will fix it? I dunno.
I know this sounds dumb, but I have to ask. You're sure it isn't just minimizing to the system tray right?

LOL How embarassing. :eek:

That's exactly what the problem was. :(

And I figured out what happened with the smoking, when I took the front of the case off, some of the insulation on the speaker cable pulled up a little, causing a short, causing the entire mess of front panel cables to melt. :)

Good thing I have a new case coming tomorrow, but in the mean time I pull the cables out and made my own power switch. :p

The General said:
LOL How embarassing. :eek:

That's exactly what the problem was. :(
LOL, well at least it is working. Now it's time to get at least 3.2 out of that thing! :p

I got it to 3.1 on my lunch break. :D Tried to hit 3.2ghz, but I need to adjust the RAM (which BTW I need help with, I have no idea what I need to change and what not), so far all I've done is increase the FSB! This thing is insane, I only got 200Mhz out of my X2 3800+ before I had to adjust the voltage and RAM !

Check it out:

I hate all you C2D whores so much, I have to push this dang Opteron to 2.7ish to break 30s and here you all are getting half that time overclocking on your lunch break

I'm not particularily familiar with DDR2 overclocking or if Intel has any of the extended AMD64 memory options yet, but it's the same basic concept. Get memtest86 handy and when your overclock gets unstable and you're sure it's not the CPU anymore start loosening RAM timings. I usually start with tras and then move onto RtoC delay, and I usually save cas for last

General rule though:

cas + trcd + 1-2(that's not a minus sign) = tras

(you might have to add more with DDR2 though I'm thinking, probably wouldn't be afraid to go from 1-6)

You should try and keep CPC enabled but disabling it isn't too bad and will yield higher clocks. My RAM is a freak exception, but increasing vdimm every 50MHz or so is probably a good idea IMO

but yeah, go to hell :p

gaara said:
I hate all you C2D whores so much, I have to push this dang Opteron to 2.7ish to break 30s and here you all are getting half that time overclocking on your lunch break

I'm not particularily familiar with DDR2 overclocking or if Intel has any of the extended AMD64 memory options yet, but it's the same basic concept. Get memtest86 handy and when your overclock gets unstable and you're sure it's not the CPU anymore start loosening RAM timings. I usually start with tras and then move onto RtoC delay, and I usually save cas for last

General rule though:

cas + trcd + 1-2(that's not a minus sign) = tras

(you might have to add more with DDR2 though I'm thinking, probably wouldn't be afraid to go from 1-6)

You should try and keep CPC enabled but disabling it isn't too bad and will yield higher clocks. My RAM is a freak exception, but increasing vdimm every 50MHz or so is probably a good idea IMO

but yeah, go to hell :p

I guess I need to read the stickys, cause that just looks like jiberish to me. :p

If you look at your memory tab in CPU-Z you can probably see what I'm talking about, don't worry, knowing the names of the latencies isn't as important as knowing how they effect your bandwidth/stability

Just be glad you don't have an AMD64 anymore as they have about 20+ more latencies to play with :p

edit - I see you have your memory on a 2:3 divider so you really don't have anything to worry about as your memory is actually working faster than your FSB at this point so it has to wait for the FSB to catch up. In other words overclocking your RAM at this point won't really do much especially since Intel relies heavily on maintaining 1:1 (or above in your case)

Okay good I was wondering why it was running faster than my FSB, really I just left everything on auto and increased the FSB. So thats good news! That means I have a ways to go!

When you first enter BIOS, hit Ctrl+F1. That should make all the advanced RAM option available in the OC'ing section of the BIOS.

Once in there, change RAM settings from Auto to Mannual. Change the divider to "2." That is 1:1 on this board. Then manually set the timings. You only need to set the first 4, leave the last 3 at Auto. I would set the first 4 to SPD specs.

Doing that will take the RAM out of play for a while so you can see how far the CPU will go.

Looking good so far :D

It's OK, here's a cookie :p

5203-bakery-crisp-chocolate-chip-cookie.jpg

Wow that's a nasty looking cookie. :( :mad:

Did you ever have to increase the vcore when you got to 3.7, idiotec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom