How much of a differnce does DDR2 800 make?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmm well this depend on a couple of factors, in fact.

First of all, the timings, a 5+ CAS timing 800MHz will be a bit more efficient if at all [and sometimes even less efficient] than a 3CAS timings 533Mhz ram, not to speak about 3cas 667Mhz ram, which will probably be lots more efficient than a 800MHz 5CAS ram.

BUT a 800Mhz CAS 4 [or 3 if you can actually affored it] is going to be much more efficient and fast [yes, the diffrence will be VERY noticeable] than the same cas latencies ram that will run on 533/667 mhz.

Also the 800MHz speed is the most recommended for a high end machine for gaming and overclocking, as you will look around you will see all of the people who bought new machines [like The General, idiotec and.. me? :D ] got 800Mhz ram.

-Jo.

yes, the diffrence will be VERY noticeable
Once again no, perhaps if you are benching memory bandwidth in SiSandra you'll notice a big difference but as far as real world performance I absolutely gurantee RAM running at the same speed yet different latencies will yield no noticable difference

I don't know how many times I've said this, but latency primarily influences stability of RAM and should therefore only be considered if you are overclocking. Bandwidth difference is minimal and completely neglible in any real world environment

While it is true that as I've always said high latency DDR2 does not compliment the low latency characteristics of the HTT bus and memory controller design of the AMD64, you have ridiculous high frequencies of DDR2-800 to compensate. Ever wonder why DDR2-800 has no performance benefits over PGA939 and DDR400, HTT bus thrives with low latencies which DDR2 cannot handle.

But I suppose there will always be naive people who buy into Corsair XMS EXTREME GAMING MEMORY

Aight, let me ask his then. I am building a system with a 4200 x2 and an x1800xt, I am shopping for RAM, I was thinking of going to 667 instead of 800 to save a few dollars. The rig is for gaming. Is there any significant reason to go 800 over 667?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure AMD uses DDR2-800 as the standard 1:1 FSB/Mem Bus speed so you'd have to use DDR2-800 or else you're bottlenecking your system bus throughput

gaara said:
Once again no, perhaps if you are benching memory bandwidth in SiSandra you'll notice a big difference but as far as real world performance I absolutely gurantee RAM running at the same speed yet different latencies will yield no noticable difference

I don't know how many times I've said this, but latency primarily influences stability of RAM and should therefore only be considered if you are overclocking. Bandwidth difference is minimal and completely neglible in any real world environment

While it is true that as I've always said high latency DDR2 does not compliment the low latency characteristics of the HTT bus and memory controller design of the AMD64, you have ridiculous high frequencies of DDR2-800 to compensate. Ever wonder why DDR2-800 has no performance benefits over PGA939 and DDR400, HTT bus thrives with low latencies which DDR2 cannot handle.

But I suppose there will always be naive people who buy into Corsair XMS EXTREME GAMING MEMORY

I love you Gaara and i love everything you said, specialy that last sentance.

I tried making the same point for someone else who ask this very same question and i a really rude response. some people have much to learn i guess. but i am glad someone has the same FACTS about this topic as i do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom