Winxp+vista Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsnyder100

In Runtime
I recently installed vista on a seperate partition with xp on the other. I decided to combine the two partitions and was wondering how to delete the screen that asks you which OS you would like to boot into. Thanks for the help.

your going to want to edit the boot.ini so that it boots to the primary os that you want first.

start > right click my computer > properties > advanced tab > startup and recovery > click edit and adjust the boot.ini accordingly.

how do i edit it??? this is what i have in the edit screen:

;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /FASTDETECT

[boot loader]
timeout=1
default=multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS *you will edit this to what os you want*
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

of course you will adjust this to boot vista and set the partitions accordingly

Windows Vista doesnt use the boot.ini for it boot manager. It uses bcedit. That is only able to be edited within Vista.

But the only problem is if you get rid of the Vista boot loader you cant boot into Vista. At all. Even adding it to the XP Boot manager wont allow you to get into Vista. You have to leave it there.

So you wish to get rid of the boot loader that Vista installed? That is easy. Sorry didnt quite understand the question at first. There is a application out there that will remove the Vista Boot Loader.

EasyBCD will get rid of the Vista Boot Loader for you. It is a small application that complete removes it and allows only the XP one to remain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom