MAC vs PC - What do you Prefer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
apokalipse said:
try burning a CD, having a game open, having 3 antivirus progs running, 2 firewalls, over 10 IE windows open, AND Kazaa all at the same time on 500MHZ
my computer crashed like 10 times on XP when I did that, so I decided to do one thing at a time, it still crashed about 3-4 times after that, when I only had Kazaa, 1 AV and 1 firewall

Have you heard of spyware? maybe? plus, you really cant run that much at one time on a 500 mhz system thats probably the main problem. im not blaming you for not having a better system, im only saying you cant expect that much out of it.

are you stupid? burning a CD when all thats open? thats freaking retarded on even a fast system, considering it eats up resources like crazy. that on top all the other crap you had open (ie KaZaA and... 2 firewalls? why?) even a new system would have a lot of trouble. how long has it been since you've reformatted/reinstalled windows? i do it every 2 months, to keep my system running in top shape.

as for your long reply post, you need to read my posts thoroughly. youre pissing me off because you dont seem to get what i mean, and im clearly stating my thoughts.

simplicity will not work in future, people are requiring computers to do more and more complex things. I think Microsoft understands this, but has not made their OS's nearly as stable as they could have been. Macs are a lot more complex than you think, yet they are still that reliable

people shouldnt rely on computers to do everything for them. so youre saying, that we need to have the best computers, so we can become fat slobs stuck to our computer chair? thats a nice thought.

false information? since when was "Macs were built on the very stable Unix" false?
ok, Macintosh is one company, and there are many PC companies each with their own Powerful computer, although it's funny how the smallest group makes the most powerful system. the G5 is about 1 1/2 years old roughly and only now the Pc's can slightly outperform it. Mac has no dependance on Windows, and the G5 is built on being independant from Windows. right now, Macintosh would prolly be making an even bigger system. as I said before, Athlon 64's are only a catchup.
and as I recall it IBM wanted to kill Microsoft, not Mac, now Mac and Microsoft are the bigger competitors

well if you were literate, which you dont seem to be, you would have, again, read the whole freaking post. i wasnt referring to that part of your reply.

IF the g5 is 1.5 years old, and that mac/(ibm?) is working on something better, why dont you consider the other side of the spectrum, that maybe, just maybe, the pentium 4 and the amd athlon 64 were also just as old? did you ever think that they were also maybe working on something too? and if intel and amd spit out new processor technologies faster than the mac ones, then doesnt that mean that the mac is just slow? lets say that maybe the g5 was created in 1.5 years, and the athlon 64 was created in 1 year. they are approxamatly equal in power (for what they need/are designed to do) then that means that hte people over at apple are just slow. but then again maybe the people over at the mac's competition are slower? maybe the G5 was waiting for 1.5 years to be released? doesnt this mean they just pussy-footed around and didnt release their processor when they should have?

oh this is enough for me.

im making a movement to get this thread locked or deleted by a moderator, because everybody knows that its going ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE and that it shouldnt have been created in the first place.

PLEASE SHUT IT DOWN! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

this is pretty heated...

my friend has a mac and i bug him about it. btw i preffer PCs, which is pretty general with the OS's like linux and non- windows OS's. Basically the arguement is really are u for MAC's or against them?
but yeah my friend argues back that im a "gamer dork" cuz that what i use them for.
i havent ever crashed any of my computers (pc's) but just visiting my friend, i have seen his MAC crash many times.

I prefer PC's mainly because of compatibility, versatility, and the ability to mod and upgrade easily, which is a fun hobby that u cant have with MACs. Also, im not rich, so PC's are better their for me too.

The fact that MAC owners have to basically buy exclusively from MAC or MAC certified stores that get everything from apple. I wouldnt be able to trust that because they could come up with something, get no competition, set ANY price for it and call it reasonable.

A lot of people in this forum seem to have a bunch of money to spend on computers, y not buy and MAC -=AND=- a PC? that would be fun.

BUT, to end on a good note: get some good MAC compatible games and slap a 3 button mouse on that baby and i'd take one any day. their very sleek and sexy too :D

I prefer PCs.
1.They are more exciting.
2.If u have a good PC u really don't need a MAC.
But eventhough u have a MAC u need a PC.
3.U can do almost anything with a PC.
4.A PC costs less.
5.A PC gives u the urge to explore more and try different things differently.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by apokalipse
try burning a CD, having a game open, having 3 antivirus progs running, 2 firewalls, over 10 IE windows open, AND Kazaa all at the same time on 500MHZ
my computer crashed like 10 times on XP when I did that, so I decided to do one thing at a time, it still crashed about 3-4 times after that, when I only had Kazaa, 1 AV and 1 firewall
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you heard of spyware? maybe? plus, you really cant run that much at one time on a 500 mhz system thats probably the main problem. im not blaming you for not having a better system, im only saying you cant expect that much out of it.

are you stupid? burning a CD when all thats open? thats freaking retarded on even a fast system, considering it eats up resources like crazy. that on top all the other crap you had open (ie KaZaA and... 2 firewalls? why?) even a new system would have a lot of trouble. how long has it been since you've reformatted/reinstalled windows? i do it every 2 months, to keep my system running in top shape.

yes I have heard of spyware, and I account for it! I have 2 anti-spyware progs I run regularly and I use a program called Diet Kazaa to remove all the spyware AND ads that Kazaa automatially installs, I burned 1 CD which actually finished, and shortly after, crashed, and this was on XP
and I did say that I went to doing 1 thing at a time but it STILL CRASHED! and that is a good point about reformatting regularly, but ask yourself, why should you have to? you don't se a Macintosh user say you should reformat regularly, maybe you don't have to on a Macintosh, they're that stable!

as for your long reply post, you need to read my posts thoroughly. youre pissing me off because you dont seem to get what i mean, and im clearly stating my thoughts.

the long posts are due to the fact that Macintosh have soo many reasons they are better! and you think you're not pissing me off with your posts? I am also clearly stating MY points, and YOU don't seem to get what I mean

quote:
simplicity will not work in future, people are requiring computers to do more and more complex things. I think Microsoft understands this, but has not made their OS's nearly as stable as they could have been. Macs are a lot more complex than you think, yet they are still that reliable

people shouldnt rely on computers to do everything for them. so youre saying, that we need to have the best computers, so we can become fat slobs stuck to our computer chair? thats a nice thought.

no, they shouldn't, since when was I suggesting that the comlexity of a computer will have anything to do with how much excercise its user will be?
if anything, I'm saying that computers will eventually be sophisticated enough to know what is good for the user!

quote:
false information? since when was "Macs were built on the very stable Unix" false?
ok, Macintosh is one company, and there are many PC companies each with their own Powerful computer, although it's funny how the smallest group makes the most powerful system. the G5 is about 1 1/2 years old roughly and only now the Pc's can slightly outperform it. Mac has no dependance on Windows, and the G5 is built on being independant from Windows. right now, Macintosh would prolly be making an even bigger system. as I said before, Athlon 64's are only a catchup.
and as I recall it IBM wanted to kill Microsoft, not Mac, now Mac and Microsoft are the bigger competitors

well if you were literate, which you dont seem to be, you would have, again, read the whole freaking post. i wasnt referring to that part of your reply.

oh really, I'm illiterate? I have provided TONS of information on why Mac's are better, with all of that information you NEED to be literate to understand! IF I wasn't literate, I wouldn't have that information, but I DO!
maybe I must admit maybeI didn't reply to the post correctly IN THAT PART! but that was because, YOU DIDN'T SPECIFY WHICH PART OF THE POST YOU WERE REFERRING TO
if you insist, ill go back to it!

This is anothe example of false information. They dont make that much of theyre computer. Who makes their "oh so powerful" G5 that seems to be the bane of all mac users's existance? IBM. Who made the first PC? Wait, that was IBM also. IBM could drop their support with Apple at any time, kind of like when Mac relied on Microsoft's office suite... got dropped like a dead rat. IF this did actually happen, who would make their procs? I know AMD and Intel arent gonna do it, and i doubt others like Sun etc will want the job either.

let's just see, IBM doesn't exactly like Microsoft for taking over IBM's stronghold on the computer world, so maybe they know not to trust Microsoft!
and as a matter of fact, the G5 is only part of Macintosh! jeezuz, you honestly don't think Macintosh are solely relying on the G5? look at Ipod, look at E-mac, or Powerbook, hell, they're all selling better than the G5, and that's only because:
a: the G5 is TOO powerful for a lot of people
b: people just don't realise how much better the G5 is because Windows users have always told people "it's Macintosh so its crap" - well I am honestly sick of this false stereotype!
and maybe the reason AMD or Intel are not helping Macintosh is because they just can't make something as high quality as a Macintosh would typically use

IF the g5 is 1.5 years old, and that mac/(ibm?) is working on something better, why dont you consider the other side of the spectrum, that maybe, just maybe, the pentium 4 and the amd athlon 64 were also just as old? did you ever think that they were also maybe working on something too? and if intel and amd spit out new processor technologies faster than the mac ones, then doesnt that mean that the mac is just slow? lets say that maybe the g5 was created in 1.5 years, and the athlon 64 was created in 1 year. they are approxamatly equal in power (for what they need/are designed to do) then that means that hte people over at apple are just slow. but then again maybe the people over at the mac's competition are slower? maybe the G5 was waiting for 1.5 years to be released? doesnt this mean they just pussy-footed around and didnt release their processor when they should have?

I'm saying that the G5 is practically unchanged since release, the P4 has been radically changed since it was first made, even changed after the G5 was released, but the G5 still outperforms them! the Athlon 64's are far from old, they are maybe a few months old at the most? we don't. technology increases with time, the Athlon 64 was built AFTER the G5, and they perform pretty much equal. it's saying G5's, for the release date are INCREDIBLY FAST! and now while the Athlon 64's are only equal to them, Macintosh are already getting a head start developing a new system! and about development time, let's just see, there are how many Macintosh employees (hardware) working against how many AMD employees? at a rough guess, the AMD employees would outnumber them about 3:1 and that means that the Macintosh employees are working harder!

im making a movement to get this thread locked or deleted by a moderator, because everybody knows that its going ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE and that it shouldnt have been created in the first place.

PLEASE SHUT IT DOWN! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

I'm here to defend Macintosh and give them a fair go, in which they deserve! they are gainst Microsoft which is the biggest company in the world, they're still here! they must be doing something right!

I don't care what you think of Macs, but the only person who would use a Mac as a boat anchor is somebody with no use for a computer at all

"I think it's funny as hell how mac users have egos the size of the san andreas fault" - Stormy78

oh right, so defence of a company is called an ego?think of all those windows users that, put together, make more false statements about Mac than would cover mount everest

Why buy a Macintosh Apple when you can get the whole DOSTree for less?

because the Mac system can be better!

this is pretty heated...

my friend has a mac and i bug him about it. btw i preffer PCs, which is pretty general with the OS's like linux and non- windows OS's. Basically the arguement is really are u for MAC's or against them?
but yeah my friend argues back that im a "gamer dork" cuz that what i use them for.
i havent ever crashed any of my computers (pc's) but just visiting my friend, i have seen his MAC crash many times.

I dont want to have a go at you, but prove it!

I prefer PC's mainly because of compatibility, versatility, and the ability to mod and upgrade easily, which is a fun hobby that u cant have with MACs. Also, im not rich, so PC's are better their for me too.

The fact that MAC owners have to basically buy exclusively from MAC or MAC certified stores that get everything from apple. I wouldnt be able to trust that because they could come up with something, get no competition, set ANY price for it and call it reasonable.

I don't want to repeat what I have already said, so just find above where i have noted "I'm sick of people saying Mac's aren't compatible with anything" it will explain what I want to say here, not trying to have a go at you

A lot of people in this forum seem to have a bunch of money to spend on computers, y not buy and MAC -=AND=- a PC? that would be fun.

I really want to do that, network an Athlon 64 machine and a G5

BUT, to end on a good note: get some good MAC compatible games and slap a 3 button mouse on that baby and i'd take one any day. their very sleek and sexy too

at least one PC user (besides myself) understands that a Mac is more than most people see
I have admitted to liking PC's, I am saying though, I like Macs better, and for our next family PC, I will try and talk my dad into getting a Mac

"and I did say that I went to doing 1 thing at a time but it STILL CRASHED! and that is a good point about reformatting regularly, but ask yourself, why should you have to? you don't se a Macintosh user say you should reformat regularly, maybe you don't have to on a Macintosh, they're that stable!"

You see, you cant expect that much out of a 500mhz system, especially with

1.not only the fact that you should know that 320mb of ram is a bit low for a computer that needs to run the "latest software", i would have expected you to know that stability issues arise when your mix sizes/brands/types of ram, and you obviously have different sizes, and a good chance different brands. what brands are the sticks? are they "value ram"? because that could easily be your problem.
2.not only are you running xp on there, youre also running home ed. You cant expect that much out of it.

"I have provided TONS of information on why Mac's are better, with all of that information you NEED to be literate to understand!"

heres where youre wrong. You havent provided almost ANY information, as the only things you seem to say is that "macs are so fast", and "macs are so stable". this is your only arguement, and you have no information to back it. tell me WHY macs are so stable, and why they are so fast, as in give me a f***ing link to a source where you get your information, or if you cant, tell me where you learned it.

"IF I wasn't literate, I wouldn't have that information, but I DO!"

Duh, i wasnt literally calling you "illiterate". I thought you would have noticed that.

"YOU DIDN'T SPECIFY WHICH PART OF THE POST YOU WERE REFERRING TO"

i shouldnt need to. you should think, "ok he said this, now which part of my post most likely corresponds with that responce..."

"let's just see, IBM doesn't exactly like Microsoft for taking over IBM's stronghold on the computer world, so maybe they know not to trust Microsoft!"

Give me an example of this, as in some news, or an article, or some sort of evidence that they really do think this. until then, that statement can always be assumed to be False/Made up, and/or an Opinion.

"a: the G5 is TOO powerful for a lot of people"

yeah, and WHO says this? are you talking about the general user? i would agree. but then again, dont you think that the general user (someone who maybe plays one game, only uses the internet to check email and chat, and types essays etc) would be perfectly satisfied with the PC you have now? wouldnt that mean that any thing over that would be overkill? i see these HPs and Compaqs that have 28 ghz/2700+ procs and flat panel monitors and loads of "great software (!)" and always think, "does anyone that would buy this pc, actually use this much power?"

"b: people just don't realise how much better the G5 is because Windows users have always told people "it's Macintosh so its crap" - well I am honestly sick of this false stereotype!"

actually the "stereotype" is almost non-existant now-a-days. i dont tell anyone anything about macs being crappy unless i have information to back it up. you seem to be the kind of person who would give just some opinions (As they are backed with no facts) to others, as you have been doing.

"and maybe the reason AMD or Intel are not helping Macintosh is because they just can't make something as high quality as a Macintosh would typically use"

or maybe they dont need to make procs for mac, since mac already likes theyre "bond" with IBM. (See: old mac press)
and about IBM not liking microsoft, Id like you to go check out IBM's page. What kind of computers do they sell (full computers)
oh wait, theyre PCs. or look at their workstations.
Here do they use the IBM g5 processor? no. the intellistation pro systems use AMD optetron, p4, and Xeon processors. the intellistation power systems use Sun Microsystems proccys. Since the G5 is unix oriented processor, you would think that IBM would want to use their "great achievement" (as apple says, from theyre page a while back when the G5 came out) but they dont. they would rather use better equipment, aka not even their own. see, they dont even trus themselves, probably because they know they didnt do as well as they could have on the G5.

"there are how many Macintosh employees (hardware) working against how many AMD employees? at a rough guess, the AMD employees would outnumber them about 3:1 and that means that the Macintosh employees are working harder!"

no it doesnt. AMD is just a bigger company, and they have a higher demand than apple, so they have to have more employees. the technology department is probably comperable to apple's.

its too bad that you just love macs, and yet you have a bill gates quote in your profile:

Life's not fair, Get used to it!
Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

He said this to a group of college students during a speech thing.
he may not have said it first, but he did say it and is know for saying it.

as for getting it shut down, i just want to end it all. its like argueing between Fords and Chevys. There is NO winner, because neither side will back down. youve had your chance along with all teh other mac users to prove your point. lets give it a rest and kill this thread.

I can sit here making big arguments of why Mac is better, AND counter all that you said in one giant post, but you know what?
FU(|< it!

I'm going to say something else, but before I do I want to make something perfectly clear:
1. I STILL like Mac's better
2. the only reason I am posting what's below is because: whatever I argument I make in favour of Mac, someone counter's it, right or not! and then that will in turn make me counter them, then they counte me, then I counter them etc..... and it just doesn't end
3. I DEFINATELY DO NOT want somebody assuming or accusing me of "sucking up" because I still have many arguments I COULD post!

What I want to say, is that I just want to make a truce as we both know that there will otherwise be no end to it!
and this is just getting too political!

let's just leave it as: neither Mac's nor PC's are superior, and they both have their advantages

I'm a Mac person, you're a PC person, the end!

*edit* wow, this is my 1999th post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom