Interesting WinXP conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.

xe0us

Solid State Member
Hey, this is my first post. Whatever, so, my friend's computer (lives in Europe, I just came back a couple days ago) is basically inoperable. I've tried everything to fix the problem: WinXP doesn't boot, right when you're about to see the log-in screen a nostalgic blue screen flashes for less than a second and thereafter reboots. It's cyclical after that.

So... I've tried using the XP Pro installation disk to format the hard-drive and apparently some system file, I believe isapnp but I'm not sure, is corrupt so I can't format it that way. What else? Um, they don't have Product Keys over there for Windows, so if I did format it I would be kind of screwed. I don't know why, they just told me "that's how they sell computers here." They live kind of far away from any real city/civilization(lol) so it's pretty **** hard to fix anything for cheap or at all.

My question is: Is it possible to solve this problem? The only thing I can think of is to spend a few hundred for new hard-drives and copies of Windows. Is there any other way besides that? I won't be able to find out any info of play with the computer since I'm in America now. I'm just searching for answers now, to know before I head back next summer. If you've read this far, thank you.:)

when you format so long as there are no hardware changes it shouldnt ask you for the key. try a low level format useing Powermax then try inserting xp cd and booting to it if that doesnt work check the disk for scratches and make sure the drive works. also try running memtest86+ which is a bootable ram tester so that you can verify the ram is good.

jcortes said:
when you format so long as there are no hardware changes it shouldnt ask you for the key. try a low level format useing Powermax then try inserting xp cd and booting to it if that doesnt work check the disk for scratches and make sure the drive works. also try running memtest86+ which is a bootable ram tester so that you can verify the ram is good.

and if this isn't it try switching your cd rom drive

Low level format? I've never heard of that. And if I'm reformatting... I'm having trouble understanding why it won't ask for the product key. It always asks everytime I format. If it doesn't with the low-level it should when I put the CD in. Weird process.

What should I do if the Cdkey the program gives me is... wrong? lol, it doesn't match with the one on the sticker.

It's probably just for this computer, but thanks for telling me about the product key thing. Um, how can I retrieve it if I can't boot windows? Bad situation.

When you talk about the product key do you mean what I mean? It's the same key that comes with the holographic COA. I'm hoping that's it, but yeah, I guess I'll just try to save some money and eBay the things I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom