Hi, I got a new mini fridge in the same room as my computer and have a question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocket1406

In Runtime
When the refridgerator starts to make the fridge cooler the lights dim for about half a second... is that bad for my computer? (Its in the same room) If it is, what can I do?

Your power breaker just doesn't have enough juice to power a computer, light, and a fridge.

What else is hooked up to that room? Anything major like a TV?

Yes. lol. The TV is like 35 inches. There's also a laptop , printer, monitor, Xbox 360, Xbox, DVD Player, IO Digital Cable box, Fan... of course not all on at once.

Even though their not all on at once, I heard that they still take a little electricity while it's still plugged. I think they're all on standby power thats why they're all ready to be turned on instantly.

When the fridge needs to get cooler, it pulls more electricity (makes sene right). Because the circut only has so much elextricity pumping through it, when one device consumes more, there is less to go around..

It shouldnt hurt anything unless, you realy start to over draw, you can easily blow a fuse. If it shuts the PC down, jsut hope you saved your work.

The locked rotor current draw when a compessor starts up is much higher than the normal running load, this heavy draw is what is causing the lights to dim.

Unless this is causing the breaker to trip I wouldn't worry about it, your line voltage isn't going to drop below the need amount to support your system.

If you are concerned you could install a UPS to back up your sysetem.

You might want to think about getting a UPS. It sounds like you got too much hooked up in your room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom