A [really?] basic ocing question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willeh

In Runtime
These are the steps I go through when I oced my CPU, but for some reason, I feel that Im missing out some steps.. or maybe I can't oc with the stuff I have?

1. Get into bios, up cpu speed by .5 mhz
2. up voltage by .25V / .5V
3. Reboot and do a prime95 test and a memtest.

With a venice core amd 64 3500+ and pc3200 1 gb RAM DDR [dual channel 512mb 2x], I can only go from 200 MHZ fsb [11x multiplier] to 205 mhz with a stable system, but if I up to 210 fsb speed the system goes unstable.

So basically the oc which I've carried out is mega small, without even reaching a one whole ghz oc.
Should I be ocing my ram at the same time? [shall I be tightening or loosening timings if I do]

Thanks.

I'll post my ram brand name in a sec when I pop open my pc.

P.S is ddr ram or ddr sdram better

First, read through the A64 OC'ing sticky. Then, after you read it, read it again ;)

A few tips. Make sure the LDT multi is lowered to x4. Some boards will lower it automatically, but IMO it is best to set this manually to make sure. x4 is OK up to 250 "FSB" then will have to be lowered to x3 at 250+.

Take your RAM out of the equation at the beginning. Set a divider of 3:2 or 2:1 FSB:RAM. This may look like 133 or 266 for 3:2 or 100 or 200 for 2:1 in the BIOS depending on your board.

Once you figure out your max CPU OC, you can then apply a better divider to the RAM.

Lock PCI-e/AGP/PCI in BIOS.

Now that you have done that, you can start increasing FSB and increasing vcore as needed. Continue to monitor stability and temps.

Okay read through it all a few times, I was originally reading the sticked post 'basics to ocing' or whatever it was called.

To overclock up 200 mhz fsb, my ram needs to be rated at higher speeds, so basically I need to OC my ram running frequency speeds so my ram/cpu or whatever can keep up with the cpu OC.

But since I can't oc my ram in bios, I figured when I up my fsb on the cpu, it also ups the running frequency on the RAM so 205mhz (2.25ghz) on cpu is 205 on the ram, to stabilise I need to up the voltage on the ram aswell.
I also checked that the ram is ddr-sdram in my system.
Can I get confirmation that what I collected was right
Thanks

EDIT: My bios does have ram timing edits etc

It said somewhere that memory dividers weren't that good but I'll re-read the stickes again

gurusan said:
weren't that good?

If you want to OC your CPU over 100-200mhz They are REQUIRED
Well, it depends on the setup. With an 939 system and DDR RAM, about your best bet at 1:1 and a high OC is with some TCCD's that will do ~ DDR600 many times.

On Intel systems, there is often a lot of RAM headroom in OC's due to DDR2. I have ~1.1Ghz OC at 1:1 :p

Back on topic though, you do need to spend some more time reading the stickies first. Also post FULL specs of your PC.

Okay I set the ram mhz thingy [can't remember what it's called] from 200MHZ to 166MHZ, I can now oc past the limit which I couldn't before with stability [a test with prime before couldn't even last 10 minutes without failure, now it can last 20 minutes w/o failure]. I don't think I should get too excited.. will do a much much longer prime test later.

Thanks so much for the help all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom