I need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Farzyness

Beta member
This is related to one of my games, which is World of Warcraft, but I'm almost certainly sure it's caused by a hardware issue.

I recently built a new system, which is compromised of an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe, p4 3.06Ghz processor, and a geforce fx 5500 videocard. The videocard was already purchased, so the processor and the motherboard were my only new additions. Everything worked wonderfully the first time around. everything installed, everything worked great. Then one day, I got a texture.mpq error while running the game, and I got it more than once. So I went ahead and reinstalled the game. To my demise, the game kept coming back with a "game may be corrupted error", so I tried again, and again, and again. I must've reinstalled the game more than 10 times. I tired to install the patch anyway, and when the patch was ready to install, it told me that the patch is corrupted and I may need to download it again. This happens to me everytime. I've tried everything and more. I've tried using multiple copies of the game, I've tried downloading the patches from different mirrors. I've tried buying a new harddrive. I've tried buying a new NIC. I've tried everything and anything. Oddly enough, WoW seems to be the only game that does this. Counter Strike works fine, my music editing program works fine, windows works fine. I've even purchased a new copy of windows, thinking that the old CD was dmged or something. I've tried installing from different CD drives. I've tried using a single stick of ram on all 4 of my slots. I've tried doing it with both of them.

So I'm guessing, that my motherboard is having a problem. I just don't know what it is, and I find it very odd that only WoW seems to be having this problem. Any new help AT ALL would be amazing.

Thanks for reading.

So you've tried re-installing Windows? It doesn't sound like it would be a hardware issue since its saying a file is corrupted. I would try formatting the entire drive and re-installing a fresh version of Windows XP SP2.

I've tried. I've done it like 3 times. On both my old HDD and my new one. The game itself is coming up as corrupted, on all 4 different copies of the game.

Usually problems like file corruption are caused by faulty RAM, or a faulty filesystem.

Have you tried new sticks of RAM at all or just the ones youve always been using.

If harddrive, windows, cd drive, copy of cd etc arent faulty, RAM is most likely the culprit. I would imagine it only happens in WoW because that's the only program you use which stresses your RAM enough to make it fault.

Let us know how you get on, RAM is fairly cheap now days.

I purchased new sticks of RAM, and I still get the same problem. Any thought as to maybe the motherboard being faulty? Or if the motherboard was faulty, nothing would be working?

ok so far these things are ruled out.

RAM
Windows
Hard drive
WoW

That leaves:

motherboard
cpu
power supply
video card

I wouldnt think it would be the video card. Power supply shouldnt cause this sort of problem and its only affecting WoW anyways.

That leaves CPU and motherboard. In your position, is it possible to exchange both cpu and motherboard for new ones?

Nope, not atm. I was thinking MAYBE both my ROM drives are defective, or maybe the wires are screwed up, I dunno. The CPU is only 2 months old. I purchased my motherboard about 1 year before actually building this system, but it was tucked away in a good open dust free space, and wrapped in its original box and everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom