X1900XTX vs. 7950 GX2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yoad said:
Sorry to barge in, but I was REALLY sure the 7950GX2 is actually two GTX's, was I wrong? :eek:

-Jo.

7900 GTX GPU: 650/1600
7950 GX2 GPU: 500/1200
7900 GT GPU: 450/1320*

Yes you were. They did have a card sporting twin GTXs but it was increadibly long and needed four PCI-E 6-pin power plugs to run it since it needed a HUGE amount of power. So NVIDIA turned down the speed to reduce power consumption.

* [NOTE] If you look many companies like EVGA and XFX clock their 7900 GTs to much higher clocks.

Beefcake said:
7900 GTX GPU: 650/1600
7950 GX2 GPU: 500/1200
7900 GT GPU: 450/1320*

Yes you were. They did have a card sporting twin GTXs but it was increadibly long and needed four PCI-E 6-pin power plugs to run it since it needed a HUGE amount of power. So NVIDIA turned down the speed to reduce power consumption.

* [NOTE] If you look many companies like EVGA and XFX clock their 7900 GTs to much higher clocks.

So, according to that, the GTX is faster than the GX2, but less expensive? That makes no sense. Why have a card that is less expensive outpreform a card that is so much more money? No one would buy the other card because it is a waste of money and the cheaper one is better...

Also, I read that there are alot of problems plauging the 79XX series of cards, is it worth the risk to buy one?

Paul_Wall_117 said:
So, according to that, the GTX is faster than the GX2, but less expensive? That makes no sense. Why have a card that is less expensive outpreform a card that is so much more money? No one would buy the other card because it is a waste of money and the cheaper one is better...

Also, I read that there are alot of problems plauging the 79XX series of cards, is it worth the risk to buy one?

The GX2 has two GPU's and twice the ram. It performs wayyy wayy better.

I've read that there are a lot of problems plauging all of ATi's drivers for every card they have. Is it worth the risk to buy one?

God doesn't make hardware, all hardware has problems. Yes it's worth the risk.

The General said:
The GX2 has two GPU's and twice the ram. It performs wayyy wayy better.

Thanks, I was puzzled about that.

I am thinking of buying a 7900GT 512MB OC'd edition, is it worth the risk to get one with all of hte problems that the 79XX series has?

Nevermind the above, you edited your post.

Paul_Wall_117 said:

GTX has one GPU, while GX2 has two GPU, so GX2 is better.

7950GX2 is better than two 7900GT in SLI, but two 7900GTX in SLI is better than 7950GX2
look at these benchmarks
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/nvidia-gf7950gx2_13.html
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/nvidia-gf7950gx2_14.html
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/nvidia-gf7950gx2_12.html

Yeah sorry, I tend to do that especially after people have already read and quoted and replied to the first version. :eek: :mad:

Yeah, definitely getting an eVGA 7950GX2. Right nwo I have an ATI and I get errors at least once during any gaming session. I used to have terrible problems with lines going thru the screen and shading problems.

Anyway, I checked various places and it goes fine with Asus P5W. Yay! Ordering everything today :)

RM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom