Is it possible to add and scan a second HDD for viruses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alkaiser2500

Baseband Member
I had to switch to my other HDD because my old one has some kind of virus infection and prevents me from logging in so I can't fix it.

Every time I log on it logs me right back out no matter what I do or what safety modes I pick!!!

I tried logging in as Admin next thing I know it's saying Logging Out.

It's very frustrating. I don't have any windows disc so I can't reboot / reinstall anything. So, I got to fix it somehow. ; ;

What would you do if you couldn't log on as Owner or Admin and how would you fix it without any disc?

I was thinking is there a way to add that old HD to this PC and scan it for viruses? That would be a life saver.

I'm desperate, I've got to go to bed soon and work tonight and I really want to fix this.

Please help me lol.

yes, umm..

take your hard drive out and put it in another computer (maybe a friends or something)

and use his (or install an) antivirus program

and scan your drive

(make sure you set it to slave)

Depends on the hard drive. Look at the label on top of the drive, and it should show you the pin settings for Slave and Master.

Be careful with that drive, though; it's be a shame if it infected whatever computer you put it in.

Dan

>< Ok, thanks. One more thing, do you know of any anti-virus programs that can run way before windows starts?

I want to be able to boot it from the F10 boot menu.

You need to use a Virus boot floppy disk. There alot of cd roms out there with virus scanners on them like Barts PE.

your best bet to get rid of the virus if you don't need the info is to format that drive... once you put that drive in your system, you run the risk of the virus going onto the new drive and screwing up both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom