RAM speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

plant

In Runtime
Just a quick question, would it actually work to mix ram types, Both DDR2, but with different speeds? REason for asking i have a slower DDR2 stick at the moment and am going to stick some more in. Would the faster ram be forced to run at the slow speed to match, or would the performance difference be noticeable. Cheers amigos

King X13 said:
would the difference be noticed...prob not.

are you insane? If you use DDR2 800 with DDR 533, the DDR 800 will turn ot 533, of course you will feel MAJOR diffrence.

-Jo.

i've seen tests, and DDR2 800 dosent seem to be much better than lower timing, but maybe it was when they were comparing AM2 to s939, i dont remember or have a link.

To above, you're completly right, DDR2-800Mhz with CAS5+ won't be much more efficient than a CAS3-2.5 DDR-400 :).
but this guy is talking about mixing DDR2 sticks of say 800Mhz with a stick of 533mhz [those are examples as he did not really write what sticks is he thinking to mix], and DDR2 has 4+ cas latencies anyways [unless you've got tons of money to spend then you can get CAS 3...] so he'll feel quite a performance loss if he will add on a 533Mhz DDR2 stick to a system that is running with a DDR2-800Mhz stick.

That is all,

-Jo.

If anyone had bothered to check out the earlier posts Plant has made, you would see that DDR2 PC5400 667Mhz was mentioned. So we're not talking about a bleeding edge, $2000+ monster gaming rig here.

@ Plant, as was said, it will work and you won't be able to tell the difference, as it will run at the same speed it is running right now. The faster RAM will be downclocked to the speed of the salwer that you are currently using.

Oh, and grow up people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom