Pentium D 820 2.8 GHz. for gameing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPL Tech

In Runtime
Is this a good processor for gameing? I can get the 915 for $30 more or the 930 for $100 more or the 940 for $200 more. What does everyone think? I was a bit worried because I saw a chart of how the Pentium D stacks up against other processors and it was always at the bottom of the list...

Yea Pentium D line is not good. You can get a good dual core such as the AMD X2 3800+ for only $150! I suggest you go for those, because the X2s are good for gaming.

Honestly, forget the Dells.

Check out a site like ibuypower.com, cyberpowerpc.com, or monarch.com and put together a decent AMD socket 939 system. you get more options and choices (like different cases, motherboards, brands of RAM, brands of hard drives, graphics cards {real ones, not crippled ones like Dell uses}, and so forth).

Or you can build, which is not as hard as you think. Plus you can get plenty of help here in threads and tutorials (including two or three with step by step pics). Everyone here is more than willing to help.

If you are determined to go with a pre-built, check this one out:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...00-T6420&CMP=EMC-TIGEREMAIL&SRCCODE=WEM1184IS
It's a single core, but it is a decent system for a starter. Just add a graphics card and a beefier PSU and you're ready to rock and roll.

Well the reason why I went with dell is because they have the no financeing for 18 months thing. If I can find someone else who has that I will look at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom