Not open for further replies.

AppZ

Beta member
Hey guys.

I recenty built a computer

quick spec:

Foxconn 6150K8MA-RS A64/64FX/64 X2, nForce430, HT2000, Dual DDR400, VGA

Athlon 3800+ barton core, socket 939.

ATM it only have 512mb of DDR400 ram ( I will be upgrading to more shorlty)

Anyway, my old computer a 2.4 gig P4 which has 1 gig of DDR400 seems to run so much faster and smoother than my new computer.

When I look at my computer programs it says something about 2.4 gig? Here's a screen shot

specfv8.png

Does this mean that it's only running at 2.4 gig? It sure doesn't seem like 3800+

Any help would be much appreciated

Regards,
AppZ

2.4ghz is the true speed of the 3800+ chip. The AMD naming convention is something like this

3200+ is equivelant to a 3.2ghz pentium
3000+ is equivelant to a 3ghz pentium.

Even though the AMD chip runs at what seems to be a slower rate, it can process more at a time.

Think of it as a highway.
Pentium4 = 2 lane highway with max speed of 200mph
AMD = 4 lane highway with max speed of 100mph

You get the idea.

As far as the performance side of things is concerned, is this new machine running with a fresh install of Windows? If you havn't, it's a good idea to.

Also I notice you only have 512 and your old had 1gig. This shouldn't make a huge difference in performance, but it all depends what you're doing, games, 3d design etc.

It was built as a low budget gaming system.

I see your point, I was just expecting instant reponce when I execute porgrams. So your point in the Atlons can run more programs more effeciantly? I guess thats convinient as how I use a Suse emulator.

And yes it's all brad new equipment with a new and the first installation of windows (including the HD).

I didn't think it would of made that much of a diffrence in terms of RAM as how when I run warcraft only 300-400 out of 478 of the physical memory was being used.

Then again I am only using onboard graphics for the moment.

Would you recomend me uppping the CPU preformace in BIOS (can't remember the correct term over-clocking?) to run at 3800+ or would that just melt my eqquiment?

Thanks,
AppZ.

you obviously don't know what you're doing so i recommend you dont overclock just yet.
Learn , and learn lots before you attempt it.

Even a budget gaming system these days needs 1gb ram, you computer will adapt to the amount of ram you put in it so It may look like its not using all 512MB but believe me you need that extra ram. Especiall for WoW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom