Solid, Dual Processor Workstation mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstshtml

Baseband Member
Does anyone know where I can find a solid, stable dual processor motherboard for a workstation. I dont know if a server board will work. Also i need the board to have PCI Express x16. and support atleast 8GB of DDR2 ram.
thanks
-steve

whats the difference between dual core and dual processors? Do they have the same effect?
The reason is for 16-bit image editing and ittakes alot of processing power to process multiple 160meg image files at a time

Okay, right now you'd be better off getting a Mac Pro, dual dual-core Xeons, and if you were to build a similar setup yourself it would cost like $50 less than just buying a Mac Pro, and if you get a Mac Pro you have the option of using Mac OS X-specific image editing software like Aperture (which rocks for raw imaging).

And dual-core is two processors in one, dual processor is two independant processors. The only difference is that dual socket motherboards are extremely expensive and i think dual processor setups use more electricity.

Dual core processors are 2 cores on 1 die...they share memory though...whereas a dual processor setup gives each CPU it's own ram....which in your case might be beneficial.

If you decide to go with a dual core setup you will save a lot of money and have more options.

If you go with a dual CPU setup it will be more expensive and you'll have less options...

For Dual core I suggest going with Conroe...it's Intel's newest line of CPUs...very efficient and very fast. They support 800mhz DDR-2 and most if not all motherboards that run them support 8gb ram.

If you go for a dual CPU setup then it depends how much you want to spend. If you go AMD you will have to get a socket 940 board which only accepts socket 940 opterons which are pretty expensive. But there are dual CPU AMD motherboards that support dual core cpus so you can have a total of 4 cores! :)

Or...you can go with intel..but that way is pretty expensive too...you will need Xeon processors which are pretty good..but kinda expensive and AMD keeps up with them very well

The General said:
Okay, right now you'd be better off getting a Mac Pro, dual dual-core Xeons, and if you were to build a similar setup yourself it would cost like $50 less than just buying a Mac Pro, and if you get a Mac Pro you have the option of using Mac OS X-specific image editing software like Aperture (which rocks for raw imaging).

And dual-core is two processors in one, dual processor is two independant processors. The only difference is that dual socket motherboards are extremely expensive and i think dual processor setups use more electricity.

or get a mac pro. :)

hmm my budget right now for just the mobo and cpu and video card and ram i would like to keep below $1000. I know its not alot for these kind of systems but its really all i can afford right now going into college and all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom