Alright, what program...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keadonen

In Runtime
What program can I use to transfer info from one hard drive to another...

I have bought a new computer and my old one has alot of stuff on it that i want (its the family computer tho) so how can i transfer the data from computer to computer? (I dont have a router) I have an ethernet cable tho...

Ive heard of a program called ghost im not sure if its the right program tho.

thanks

XP has it built in, But its alot easier to just install the hdd into the new computer and transfer them that way, If you have a router or a patch cable you can set up a homenetwork and transfer them threw there.

You could also connect them using a null modem and crossover cable, but I agree with FlashDude, Slave the old HDD to the new computer.

IF you set your old HDD to slave, You want to boot from your new one. Then your old one will be assigned a drive letter. From there you can browse and copy files freely over to your C: drive that you are currently running from.

Sorry im noob, how do you set it to slave?
And will my old Hd have the different drive letter when its back in my old computer? (Old hd has a partition one is C:/ on is D:/)

No it won't have the different drive letter when its back in your old computer.

Take the hard drive out (im hoping you know what a hard drive is), look at the front end of it, youll see some pins (about 8 pins), and if theres a jumper in there already (a little thing that has been inserted around two pins), read the jumper settings ontop of the hard drive. therell hopefully be a diagram displaying where teh jumper needs to go in relation to those 8 pins for the drive to be recognised as a slave.

An easier option is unplugging the wide, usually grey, cable (aka IDE cable) and power cable from the back of your CD drive and plugging them into your hard drive. If you look on one side of the IDE cable youll see a red line, that indicates pin 1. As youre inserting the IDE cable, pin 1 must be closest to where you plug the power into the hard drive. If you only have one CD drive you won't have to worry about jumper settings.

Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom