Can't get to desktop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Distriks

Solid State Member
Well I recently got major upgrades to my PC. New mobo, vid card, processor, power supply and ram. For some reason I cannot get to the desktop. I thinking it may be because the hard drive and cd drive is on the same IDE line. I've gone into the bios and tried screwing around there. Nothing. I though the partion might be corrupted but I have reached the desktop when I switched out my hard drive to another PC. So I ordered a SATA hard drive thinking this may solve the problem because they run on a seperate line.

Check the jumpers on the drives, if they're on the same IDE chain. Having them both set to Master can cause the system to hang.

ShoobieRat said:
Check the jumpers on the drives, if they're on the same IDE chain. Having them both set to Master can cause the system to hang.

agree make sure the harddrive is set to master.

You need to reinstall windows after the hardware upgrade. It won't boot after it was formatted and installed with a different motherboard.

I screwed around with the jumpers until the hard drive was set on Master and the dvd drive on slave and it still won't boot. As for reinstalling windows, I can get it to boot from disk.

*Edit- No, I got it to boot from cd. So if I reinstall windows it will work? Then I'm wondering if I can use my product key on both hard drives, because I'm going to get my SATA one tomo.

It makes no difference how many times you install it as long as you use it on one PC only. You will have to reactivate it, And because its a different board you might have to call Microsoft.

As long as you don't have other issues it will work, but reinstalling is a must after a motherboard change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom