optimizing performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

capriceswangin

Solid State Member
i am just wondering how to get the most out of my laptop. its a compaq v2000, and sometimes it just seems to [mess] up. Sometimes it just shuts off, sometimes it just restarts itself... Dont know what the deal is. a while back a tryed to burn a dvd, and it would just shut off. Sometimes when i pick up my laptop or move it around it shuts off... im currently deleting some programs and files i dont need, i randomly reformat the disk or whatever, and i dont know what else to do.... any help is appreciated

It might just be some bad hardware. It sounds as if the Power cables are loose and causing you some problems.

Does it shut off when youre running on batteries only? Does it make any difference if your AC adapter is plugged in? Does the problem become more frequent the longer its left on?

yeah it seems like it is more frequent when the computer is left on for long periods of time(or at least gets used for long periods).... i cant remember if it does it on ac, but im pretty sure it only does it off battery power

battery could be bad. also see if you can get an error out of it by doing this, that will prevent if from shutting down assuming its not a power problem and it will give you an error instead.

1.Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2.Click the Advanced tab.

3.Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

4.Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

5.Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

It could possibly be overheating especially since you said it usually does it after being on for long periods of time and while you burn DVDÂ’s which creates more heat from the optical drive.

not much you can do on a laptop other than stay in a cool room and put it on a table top instead of your lap also directing a fan on it or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom