Internal HDD to External

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bannister

Beta member
I recently bought a seagate barracuda 200GB ST3200822A ATA internal drive as a bargain and realise now i can't hook it up. The primary IDE slot is taken up with 2 DVD drives and the cable doesn't fit into the other slot. My PC has 2 other HDDs in a Raid-0 Serial-ATA.

So...I figure i'll use an external enclosure. A Mapower USB-enclosure. It powers up the HDD and the windows XP "new hardware" noise plays, but nothing pops up. In "safely remove hardware" it shows up as a USB mass storage device, but it's not in My Computer.

How can I get this drive to work?

try setting it to master/slave..

I've never really had this problem, double check you're cables and such, Any hard drive I've put into a external usb enclosure (same enclosure different hard drives) all worked flawlessly.. Didnt even have to format the drive.

Have you tried different drives in the enclosure?.. Also, his hard drive could have been a bargain for that very reason (it might not work).

Yea...i set the pin on the HDD right for the enclodure. Set to Master/Single.

I tried connecting another HDD through the enclosure. It made that hopeful noise again, but this time after about 30 seconds it made the disconnect sound aswell. It still didn't say "new hardware found" or show up in My Computer.

I suppose this is a USB fault? I'm searching for my windows disk as i type.

OK i figured it out.

i went to run diskmgmt.msc to get to the management (can also go through "manage" when you right click my computer)

then i selected to initialise a primary partition and assigned a drive letter. It's formatting as i type.

;D

..yep :D

...new drives aren't formatted yet, so no partitions or file system exists until you make one.

you know, that actually never came to mind.. i presumed you formatted it :p

Once again my tiredness on this forum shows hee, forgot to mention that all my hdd's were already partitioned. Good to see you got the problem solved buddy!

yea.. my last drive external prompted me to format it when i connected. that was the problem.
got a USB issue too (can't connect 2 USB mass storage devices at once for some reason) so i'm gonna use this opportunity to back everything up and reformat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom