7900GT VoltMod Cooling Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwiz

MechEng Extraordinaire
i'm considering volt mod'ing my 7900GT and am looking for aftermarket (air) cooling. I def. don't want to spend more than $50. i know the Zalman VF900 will do a great job but... does anyone know of another HSF that is less expensive? I woud def. prefer dual heatpipes with the ramsinks included like the VF900! :D
I hope i'm not dreaming

yeah, i saw that one.... it doesnt seem like there are alot of options out there for a quality hsf cept for zalman

yeah, i already got the AS5, its already on the 7900 w/ the stock hsf... i def recommend doing that... the stock grease was all flakey and crusted, i dont even know how it worked... poorly i would guess considering the temp droped over 5*C after the change.

I'll just have to wait till my next paycheck to volt mod :( two whole weeks at stupid stock voltage

my 7900GT runs really cool right now... 45-50*C
If i volt mod, but don't OC it any more, will i experience significantly higher temps?

cwiz said:
my 7900GT runs really cool right now... 45-50*C
If i volt mod, but don't OC it any more, will i experience significantly higher temps?

Not significantly, but they may be 1 or 2C higher. You're increasing the voltage going to the card so it will become a little hotter. Again, not really enough to matter, though.

With vf900's and a 1.5v vmod I saw a decrease in temps. Obviously I would have seen an increase had I stayed with the stock eVGA KO coolers. 900's are the way to go.

My stronger card would run 700/1800 all day but the other guy tops out at 680/1760 so I have to compromise on the clock when SLI. That single card's temps peak at 60 load compared to 61 load when running 577/1800 with the stock HS.

I cant get my card to go over 550/1500 and thats on a good day, i dont know how you guys get it up ther like 577/1800. my comp would crap itself and take a nap

Use AS5 and a Zalman VF900-Cu

Core @ 690 w/ F.E.A.R. or HL2:E1 = 45C (after 2 hours of intense gameplay)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom