DELL ripoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
DO NOT save files on D. I have a Dell too. That D partition is NOT EMPTY. The files simply are not viewable. But there are files there. In fact the D partition is actually almost full when you get your computer. It just does not show it. I called Dell wondering about this. There is a set of special keys you have to push to vide the files in there. I donÂ’t know what the combination is. Anyway that D partition is the back up of your hard drive. The files in there are needed to revert your system to its original system if you need to. That is what you paid the extra $10 for the "system CD". There is no system CD. They use partition imaging software to make a virtual drive back up. Anyway if you start saving stuff there you may not be able to do a factory boot if you need to. Then you would be screwed. You would have to have the hard drive reformatted and windows re installed through Dell.

With my Dell I ordered a 80 gig HD. The C drive has a total volume of 52.7 gigs and the D partition has a total volume of 18.6 gigs.

Snake-Eyes said:
For one, when you format a drive, you lose space because it's rated in gigaBITS. When you format it, it becomes gigaBYTES. 8 bits = 1 byte.

Windows OS takes up about 4 GBs, and if you had anything else installed when you purchased it, then more space is going to be lost.

That's not why, otherwise an "80GB" harddrive would actually be 8GB. It's because harddrive companies use "1 billion bytes" as a gigabyte, when in actuality a gigabyte is 1,073,741,824 bytes, thus making a smaller harddrive seem bigger.

The General said:
That's not why, otherwise an "80GB" harddrive would actually be 8GB. It's because harddrive companies use "1 billion bytes" as a gigabyte, when in actuality a gigabyte is 1,073,741,824 bytes, thus making a smaller harddrive seem bigger.

If an actual gigabyte is just over 1 billion, then how would using 1 billion bytes as 1 gigabyte make a smaller HDD seem bigger?

Because if the units the harddrive manufacturer are smaller than what the OS uses, then the harddrive manufacturer can fit more of them in.

It depends if you're look at it from the size the box says or the size the OS says. I mean harddrive companies can make smaller harddrives seem bigger. But I suppose if you were looking at it from the perspective of the OS, then the OS can make a bigger harddrive seem smaller.

If I am still missing the part I worded incorrectly, please tell me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom