Help! Installing Windows on a PC with no CD Drive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
mophead740 said:
just plug the drive into another computer and install on that and then move the drive backover
(will that work?)

it will with windows me. the easier way is to install me on the whole drive then install xp as an upgrade after you switch it back, but I like fresh installs

Thanks eric, i'm going to get ME today, install it on another pc, then put the hard drive back into the ipaq to see if it works, but i have a question.

To do the upgrade to XP, should i just use the USB CD Drive? Because if i remember correctly after you start the install of Xp it restarts and you upgrade from there, and if BIOS won't pick up the CD drive via usb... i'm wondering if that'll work at all.

you can upgrade to within windows (there is no need to boot from cd). just like you can pick that new xp install option if you have another partition in windows

Alright i'm having a problem with this.

I put the Xp CD in, boot up to install, and create 2 paritions (one that is 7Gb... for Xp and one that is 3Gb for ME)

When i create the 2 Partitions it just says

Partition 1 [New (Raw)]
Partition 2 [New (Raw)]

When i hit enter on one of them, it takes me to the menu asking how i'd like to format that drive ntfs or fat (there is no fat32, btw). So do i install XP, then come back using the ME disk and format the 2nd partition as fat? because as soon as i select one of the two partitons on the xp install, it formats them, then goes directly to installing Xp, it doesn't ask for me to choose a format type for both of them (which is how i read what you were saying)

[Edit]
Ok so i set Partition 2 as a Fat32 System, and left Partition 1 as nothing and it's installing just fine now. i'll post again if i have anymore problems.

[Edit Again]
I have everything completely working now. Thanks a ton eric. What i ended up doing was putting the harddrive in another computer, booting up with the Xp Pro cd, and leaving 1 partition completely blank (the Raw or w/e). Then i restarted, and installed ME. After i got ME installed, i moved the harddrive back to the Ipaq. Then i copied the contents of the Xp Pro cd to a 1gb jumpdrive that i have. Then after about 50 restarts (from ME) i put the Xp Pro CD in the USB CD Drive and Plugged the Jumpdrive in and hit install. After i entered the serial #'s and stuff i walked away and apparently everything installed just fine. When i returned it set "Welcome To Your Windows XP W/e" and i added a username and password and it's working perfectly now. I can't thank you enough, eric.

Also, a big thanks to everyone else who posted with help and suggestions.

you are welcome. also thank you for having the insight to thank everybody who offered to help.

there have been many of threads here where the guy only thank the person with the direct solution. even if he had tons of help. this makes us fell more appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom