Thinking of upgrading to the 7950GX2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul_Wall_117 said:
Isn't there a chance that the card could have been modified? I am not really tech-savvy, but I assume that they would have to have the appropriate technology to run it, and they could have modified the card...

The card, itself, wasnt modified. the only thing they did was have the card run a directx 10 emulator which pushed the card waay beyond its limits if u ask me. take a look at the gameplay videos. im also assuming the game running in only DX9 will run a lot smoother. plus, the game has not been optimized very much so im sure it will be tweaked to be able to play on at least a x1900xt on "full settings"(directx 9)

We, as PC junkies will always be chasing the "willow-the-wisp" of high end hardware.

I decided to that as long as the hardware I am using is in the 85-95 percentile of the top, then I am content. Upgrades are done twice a year, and a major one anually.

In order to do this I got a part-time job doing book keeping....

...I am a slave to my obssesion

Long story short - upgrade it now!

You can still play crysis at "full settings" but just not in directx 10 mode.
No you can't. No different than playing an DX9 engine like source in DX8, you can crank the settings up as much as you want but high DX does not equal the same quality as high DX9

Not to beat dead horses, but this was a dude who constantly brought up the fact that a number of cards from a specific family did not include a shader instruction set and thereby sucked. DX9 is not capable of SM4, which means you are sacrificing:

-Depth of Field
-Motion Blur
-Geometry Shaders
-Unlimited number of objects capable of being rendered

That said, DX10 is supposedly roughly 8x as efficent as DX9 therefore "high" settings in DX9 would actually be more taxing than comparable rendering done through DX10 instructions

Also, isn't Crysis as we've seen it only using DX9 shaders? At E3, it was running on a single X1900XTX, and I dont believe that is a DX10 card.
As stated supposedly it was emulating the instruction sets, or in other words, it wasn't actually internally processing the instruction sets the way they were supposed to be. You want an example of how crap emulation works, look at Intel Titanium processors and IA-64

well, X1900XTX has 8 geometry shaders, making me think it may be DX10 ready, not sure about 7950 9700XXX or x1900xt
It lacks the necessary instruction sets though, if it was DX10 capable we would already know. While it is true that DX10 is actually using unified shaders much more extensively which is what the x1900 is all about, it doesn't support DX10 and never will, plain and simple

Point being, the dude blatantly stated that he wants high settings and won't settle for anything less. And the blunt truth is that in that scenario the 7950GTX becomes obsolete if you look at his request to both want high settings and want them with Crytek2. I won't even get into my own personal reasons as to why the 7950GTX sucks

Will Nvidia and ATI wait until AFTER the release of Vista to release its DX10 capable cards? Its looking that way being as the cards were originally suposed to hit in September, but instead we are getting another refresh of the 7 series.

And lets not beat the dead horse about the X800 series and SM3, that was a completely different time and a completely different situation.

If DX10 is 8x more efficient, that may be something worth waiting another half year for. However, how buggy do you think Vista will be? Will we see the kind of compatability problems we saw when XP first came out?

r600 and G80 will support DX10. I can't really answer your other questions though as I haven't followed vista much at all

Umm, I would have to disagree with Gaara here. With a 7950 he will be able to play Crysis with high settings at 1280x1024, just not with DX10 settings enabled.

He never asked if he could run DX10, just whether he'd be able to use "today's" options and settings in Crysis or UT2007. With all the normal settings we find in Games like FEAR and Oblivion, I'd think the 7950 will more than be up to the chalenges Crysis will offer in DX9-mode.

When will this crysis game gonna be released anyway? 3-4 years? DX10 compatible games are going to delay aroudn that much, unless that crysis thing is already out and is just being refreshed to work with DX10........

Sorry, just wondering.. because as far as I know and concerned, there are a couple of years before we really have to use a DX10 card to get good performance.

-Jo.

My guess would be that Crysis will be released around the end of November, along with the G80s. Just a guess people, don't go all psycho on me or something. And DX10 games will start showing up around the middle of next year.

But I've read on a couple of other forums about the G80s already being taped out, which gives another 12-15 weeks before it goes into production. And that was end of June, so we could have it as early as the end of October.

All rumours people.......disregard if you feel so inclined.

Yoad said:
When will this crysis game gonna be released anyway? 3-4 years? DX10 compatible games are going to delay aroudn that much, unless that crysis thing is already out and is just being refreshed to work with DX10........

Sorry, just wondering.. because as far as I know and concerned, there are a couple of years before we really have to use a DX10 card to get good performance.

-Jo.

Crysis is near completion, it will be released as soon as Vista is released.

Gaming is at a point where they innovate new technology extremely quickly to force people to upgrade their graphics cards and in this case, their OS. Gaming isn't like it was when XP was released. They will now expect PC gamers to have a DX10 capable card and Vista upon release.

Today its the hardware keeping up with the games, not the games keeping up with the hardware like it used to be. If it was like it used to be I wouldn't be talking about a card that was $400 already beeing insufficient within a year.

Whether or not I wait for it or not depends if I hear something about it by the end of September. If the end of September gets here and there is still no sign of a release date on the G80 or R600, I will probably just go with one of the newer 7 series refreshes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom