CRT vs. LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.
The smart choice is not clear at all. There is no smart choice, there is just one in which you pay more for being an over-cautious wussy. A few people die a year from lightning strikes, therefore they give warnings about being out in a thunderstorm. A few people get dead pixels on their monitor, I think you see my point.

One technique on fixing a monitor is simply rubbing that location, not sure how that's a shady technique, but whatever floats your boat.

Also, no, you cant say anyone's opinion is incorrect because it's one based on their personal perspective. And no, mine is not illogical in the least bit. I'm sure most people on this board who really know anything would agree with my views on this. But anyway, do w/e you want to make yourself feel better knowing you paid more for the exact same product.

KingAustin said:
Don't listen to paul wall. LCD's are way better than CRT's. If you get a dead pixel, there are ways to fix them. I'm running dual 19" LCD's, one from BENQ and the other from Tyris. I love them both. You dont have to worry about ghosting if you get 8ms or under monitors. Here is the Tyris one I purchased, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824224008

I highly recommend it.

i've got two stuck pixels (though one isn't noticeable at all). how to you fix them?

would poking them w/ a needle work cuz i've heard that working before but i'm weary to try.

KingAustin said:
You are a ****ing dumbass. Of course every mass produced product is going to have a few bad ones in the mix. Dont sort the review list by lowest rating. It has 181 reviews, and has 5/5 rating, sounds like a very good monitor to me, but dont take my word for it, I've only owned it 5 months:rolleyes: . 5.5% of the reviews give it a poor rating, while the rest give it an average to very good review.

Not sure how ignorant one can be, but you seem to be setting the standard.

also not many people post reviews unless they 1. enjoy it or 2. had a bad run in and want to save others from the same thing.

@ KingAustin: Whether you're argument is logical or illogical seems to be the least of your worries, since it's pretty hard to take you seriously. You're bound to get yourself banned by starting off-topic flamewars here. If you want to flame, go to Brawlhall.net or something.

I have to agree about you being stuck at a certain res, and how you might regret it at some point when buying a LCD. I'd probably get a LCD if I thought it was worth the money, but I just don't feel that way at the moment.

As for the guy who said he's happy with 1280x1024: that's what you say, until you get to play your games at 1600x1200. Makes all the difference in the world. I've got a 19" CRT, and I'm more than happy with it. And before anyone says: "But have you tried a LCD?", the answer is yes, and I'm just not impressed.........YET.

allow me to summarise 3 pages of bickering and hopefully prevent more arguing.

CRT's:
PROS
- Cheap
- LONG LASTING
- Almost perfect viewing angle
- Most 17"+ CRT's support a resolution of 1600x1200 and sometimes greater
- Only in rare cases have dead pixels
- Are underloved, and even decent ones (i.e. 17" flat screen) can be picked up from the side of the road

CONS
- HEAVY!!!!
- Inefficient, using several times more power than equivelant LCD's
- Bulky
- Refresh rates can be linked to eye strain/sight damage
- Brightness can cause significant eye strain over long periods of time
- Can not be placed near magnetic fields

LCD's:

PROS
- Flat screen, 100% viewable
- Light
- Small package
- Pixels remain illuminated, eliminating eye strain from screen refreshes
- Digital (some anyway)

CONS
- "ghosting" effect
- easily damaged if struck
- EXTREMELY high level of failure, with many, many screens sold with dead pixels at time of purchase and probably 80-90% likely to develop dead pixels in their lifetime
- expensive
- low viewing angle
- low resolution by comparison

nitestick said:
- Can not be placed near magnetic fields

This is no longer a problem, because many new CRT monitors have a autoomatic degaussing feature.

I have my speakers right next to my monitor and I only have to press the degause button once a month.

Just pointing that out...

nitestick said:
i am well aware of degaussing and i believe it has been a feature for at least the past 10 years. placing a "permanent" magnet, such as those found in speakers near a CRT based device can result in either a temporary or a permanent distortion. in addition to that the degaussing method is not perfect

Ok, I was just wondering if it was worth mentioning. degausing has always worked for me, I did't realise that the speakers could cause permanant damage *Moves speakers*. Thanks for the information.

magouster said:
@ KingAustin: Whether you're argument is logical or illogical seems to be the least of your worries, since it's pretty hard to take you seriously. You're bound to get yourself banned by starting off-topic flamewars here. If you want to flame, go to Brawlhall.net or something.

I have to agree about you being stuck at a certain res, and how you might regret it at some point when buying a LCD. I'd probably get a LCD if I thought it was worth the money, but I just don't feel that way at the moment.

As for the guy who said he's happy with 1280x1024: that's what you say, until you get to play your games at 1600x1200. Makes all the difference in the world. I've got a 19" CRT, and I'm more than happy with it. And before anyone says: "But have you tried a LCD?", the answer is yes, and I'm just not impressed.........YET.

Not really sure how it's hard to take me seriously, but mmkay. Never really started anything off topic that didnt relate to something that could change someone's mind (aka I was saying dont listen to paul wall). So again, mmkay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom