New Build for an Aussie

Status
Not open for further replies.

willsko87

Daemon Poster
Time for a new build and I'm not really up with all the new technology so I'm having a bit of trouble with what I should buy. My new machine will be used mainly for gaming and web/image design. So far I have picked out what I think I will need and am only 100% sure on a few parts. I have absolutely no idea what video card I should buy, so could someone suggest something. I do have a budget so I will convert the prices to USD to make it easier for everyone. My budget is around $USD1150

Sure
Kinda Sure
Not sure

CPU:
AMD AM2 X2 3800+ - USD$174
HDD:
Western Digital 250GB SATAII 16MB - USD$90
DVD-RW:
Pioneer 16x DVD Super Multi-Burner (Black) - USD$45
Motherboard:
Asus A8N SLI Premium - USD$174 or Asus A8N SLI Deluxe - USD$205
Is this a pretty good mobo? Is it worth paying the extra money for the Deluxe over the Premium? If not what else could you suggest around the same price.
RAM:
GeIL DDRII 667 2GB Kit - USD$219
I have gone with the DDRII, but I'm not really sure about the rest of it. Also is GeIL a good brand of do I need to go with Kingston or Corsair?
Case:
Thermaltake Mambo Mid Tower - 430W PSU - USD$106
I'm pretty sure I will go for this case, as it's on special. Does anyone know of a better case around this price?
Video Card:
Leadtek Winfast 256MB PX7800GT TDH eForce PCI-Express - USD$357
I have absolutely no idea on Video Cards, so I just chose one that is at my price range limit. If that is crap can someone suggest the best card for the exact price or lower.

TOTAL - $1165

I'm happy with that price but I don't want to go over that. If you need any more information please don't hesitate to ask. I hope I've got everything there.

EDIT: Would it be worth getting only 1GB of Ram and perhaps getting the 4600+ AMD CPU? Then I could just add some Ram later if I need it.
Also am I spending too much on a motherboard?

im aussie so aussie prices would have suited me better
anyways...
that graphics card is good, but have you looked at like a 7900GT or X1900XT
casue they should be within ure price range
also i have the thermaltke mambo case and if u ask me its the best in its pricve range
its well built and the power sup[ply is of good quality
it also looks pretty good

P.S were r u going tho buy ure build from, cause since u r in asutralia i can rcommend somewere pretty dam cheap,
thats were i bought my comp

Great to see some Aussie's on here.
The Thermaltake Mambo case looks pretty good. I also found the Thermaltake Soprano, which I like the look of better and is the same price, so I might have a look at that as well.
http://pcmaniacs.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=62_68&products_id=1988
As for the parts, most of the prices I am getting from Computer & Parts Land, which is the lowest price I've found in Melbourne. You can download the PDF and have a look.
http://www.cpl.net.au

Do you know any other places in Melbourne that have cheaper prices?

Here are the aussie prices:

AMD AM2 X2 3800+ - $229
Western Digital 250GB SATAII 16MB - $119
Pioneer 16x DVD Super Multi-Burner (Black) - $59
Asus A8N SLI Premium - $229 or Asus A8N SLI Deluxe - $270
GeIL DDRII 667 2GB Kit - $289
Thermaltake Mambo Mid - 430W PSU or Thermaltake Soprano VB1000BWS Mid - 430W PSU - $139
Leadtek Winfast 256MB PX7800GT TDH eForce PCI-Express - $475

TOTAL - $1539

In regards to the video cards I found these around the same price. Are they any good?
XFX PCIe XF7900GT 256MB DDR3 Dual DVI/TV Out
Gecube X1900XT 256MB GDDR3 Dual -Link VIVO+AVIVO Edition

i like the thermaltake cases and ure pretty safe with them
also i think u shou;d look at going to a place called MSY
the website is http://www.msy.com.au (who would have guessed?) they dont stck the 939 3800+ X2 anymore but for $8 less they have the AM2 version
MSY have 4 Victoria branches so im sure some are in melbourne,
check the price list pdf
ull like wat u see i think
anyways better get bak to my homework

EDIT- also if u look at MSY they have 7900GTs for your graphics card price range and that is a better card i think

Oh I forgot about that mob. They are cheap as. Thanks for reminding me. Lol! They have that really bad website.
Are those other Video Cards I posted above any good?
Thanks for your help mate and good luck with your homework.

soz missed the graphics card u posted up there
they r good
bbut u should have a look at the ones they stock at MSY

msy is great if you have a whole day to wait inline and get into their store (they do not ship parts.)

Are you planning to sli? if not, why get the Sli mobo? I'd say if your not buying two video cards now, dont bother going sli.

I've heard bad things about Thermaltakes psu's (tho they are not as bad as generic ones)

also, what is this?
Pioneer 16x DVD Super Multi-Burner (Black) -

You got a brand name? like pioneer dv 109 or something. Pioneer make great burners.

hu cares if u have to wait a little wile
its worth the savings
btw fyi i think thermaltakes psus are fine and u cant just say u have heard bad things
we want to no wat
post some links if possible

Thank you A-Mak! I don't mind waiting in line, its worth the wait.

Thank you for bringing up SLI because I didn't even know what it is and most likely wont use it. Can you suggest a better AM2 motherboard without SLI?

Yes I left of the code. Sorry about that. Pioneer DVR-111DBK is the code for the burner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom