dsl installation -- dns problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason13086

Beta member
Hi, I recently signed up for verizon dsl. I recieved a modem/router box that I've been trying to get to work correctly. It connects to the internet, and I can even play a video game online using it. However, the web browsers do not work. I can ping websites and ip addresses, but when I put the ip address in the browser, it still doesn't work.

I ran the cd that came in the dsl kit...but it seems to think that the modem/router isn't working because it keeps telling me to power cycle the modem, check the filters, etc. Here is what the command prompt generates:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\>ipcofig/all
'ipcofig' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : haran
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : myhome.westell.com
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel 21143-Based PCI Fast Ethernet
Adapter (Generic)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-40-D0-07-1B-AF
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.47
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, August 19, 2006 7:50:28 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, August 20, 2006 7:50:28 PM

C:\>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I view my local area connection status it says its connected. Its address type is assigned by DHCP. Under the TCP/IP properties it says "Obtain ip address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" are checked.

I would really appreciate it if someone could help me out or atleast give me some type of suggestions. I looked at other dns problems and they don't seem to match my problem exactly.

Thanks.

You said you can ping a URL? Like when you ping www.google.com you get back 4 replies? If so, then check your firewall, anti-virus, anti-spyware, security applications.

Because if you can ping www.google.com, it's not a DNS issue. More of a application layer issue.

Check your web browser settings also, might want to do some spyware check or try using Firefox. Get it from someone who has Internet, put it on a CD, install it on your computer.

By the way, what is the model of the modem/router? Might want to check that out too, for it might have Stateful Packet Inspection. Which in many case is the problem.

Yes, I can ping google.com. I disabled all my security applications...no firewalls or antivirus. It doesn't help. Firefox is also unable to connect. However, when I boot in safe mode I am able to browse the internet. Also, when I open firefox immediately after boot in normal mode I am able to get on the internet for a period of time (a few seconds), then nothing works. I don't think its the router because I am able to get online in safe mode. The modem/router is a Westell Versalink.

I don't know what it could be because I have nothing checked in my startup list. Any ideas would help.

note: when trying to check if the windows firewall was on, I had problems with the Windows Management Instrumentation. After following some instructions online, (deleted a registry value) I got the WMI working and the firewall was off. I was then able to get online in safemode.

It can't be the router, you're still connected to the router when you were in safe mode and you could access the Internet using the web browser. Give me the model of it and I'll take a look.

In safe mode there are little process loaded, therefore when you were in normal mode maybe the firewall/security application were still running it's service when it was disable, or you missed another application running that might be causing this issue.

See if you can get online in normal mode by entering 64.233.161.99 into the browser URL. This is the IP to google.com

You need to post a HijackThis log also. It could be some other application. The HijackThis log should help determine what is loaded in normal mode.

I figured it out. ZoneAlarm was running in the background...I opened it up and disabled once or twice, but each time I rebooted the computer it apparently didn't save its settings. I just reinstalled it and everything works now.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom