cs_mary.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

imation

In Runtime
Hey guys n' gals,

Havn't posted here in a while, but i've got a problem I can't for the life of me solve.

Last week saw the appearance of a file called cs_mary.exe on my desktop, and googling tells me its a file used by windows for 'cool speech', a text to speech engine or similar (im guessing mary refers to it having a female voice).

I cannot delete this file from my desktop, and other weird things happen. I have tried removing all services, programs, etc etc from startup, tryin to delete it but I get access denied. Tried deleting it in safe mode, same thing. Went a step further, put drive in a workshop computer of mine as slave, still cant delete it. Have tried different permission settings and still no go.

However, when I make copies of the file on my desktop, say 5 copies, and select all of the copies bar the original, I can delete them all at once, but I can't delete them one at a time. I made another 5 copies, selected 4 of them and then also selected the original cs_mary.exe file, they all deleted, now the 'copy of cs_mary.exe' file is still there and I can't delete it.

Another weird thing that happens, I copied the file to my documents folder, and it isnt able to be deleted either. Really good idea imation :mad: .

I can edit the file using notepad, and save it ok too. But just can't delete, rename or cut it.

I have run checkdisk, no faults found. My system is running stable, and my antivirus tells me it's not a suspect file. Just seems odd it would appear on my desktop for no reason.

Anyone got any more ideas without formatting? Any ideas appreciated!

Edit: Uninstalled microsoft text to speech, still can't delete it.

wow..hmm...how about booting off the XP CD into the recovery console and deleting via dos commands? Are we working with XP PRO or Home?

Sorry should of said, XP Pro.

Ok just tried deleting in recovery console setting various attributes, won't let me delete it either.

run adaware, and spybot... one of those programs should kill whatever is keeping that icon on your desktop

then try and delete it again

(I'd recomend 'safe mode' to delete it after scaning^)

I had started doing that (I am a computer tech by trade), hijackthis was clear, adaware and spybot all clear. msconfig clear. cant find 'cs_mary' in registry anywhere even under a linux environment. I am stumped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom