CRT vs. LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.
ya I would agree with Kingaustin, I own a NEC 19 in. with a 8ms rresponse time, I think I got it for 199.99 after a instant rebate, and I have had it for a bout 6-7 months with no dead pixels or backlight bleeding. I love it. :)

KingAustin said:
A few things about your post

1)I own the ****ing monitor, so dont tell me to read the reviews. It is absolutely amazing and the price is astounding.

2)It has a 5/5 egg rating on newegg, so I dont know what reviews you were reading. I wouldnt ever take any advice from you on this forum. You're new to the computer scene, your previous posts make it obvious and the advice you've tried to give already is bad.

3)Buying LCD's from a store isnt that great of an idea, they charge way too much. Newegg is a great company, but if you have a trust issue, then dont buy anything online.

So, in conclusion, buy an LCD, save desktop space, save electricity, save yourself from a hot room caused by the CRT, and dont listen to paul wall.

*sigh* This is going to sound like a flame war eventually but:

I wasn't telling you to read the reveiws, because like you just said: You own the ****ing monitor. I was trying to help the thread starter. Of course I am new, but that doesn't mean that I can't provide input based upon my own personal experiences.

The reveiws I was reading are the ones from the link you posted, and here are some of them:

BEWARE of poor warranty service

Pros: newegg delivery was fast

Cons: After a day of working, it quit suddenly. All I have is a black screen. The manufacturs support is a joke. I have spent over a week trying to get someone to replace or return it with no satisfaction. Everyone says its someone else's problem. I an very disappointed in newegg for their lack of help and especially sambyte service center and tyris warranty service. I am still fighting to get it replaced.

Another:

Shipping it back

Pros: Looks nice

Cons: Keeps shutting off. Though onboard video was bad. Bought video card, still shuts off. Sending it back. also have not received rebate back from newegg, over 2 months waiting for it. No response from newegg.

Another:

Dead Pixels, do you want to gamble?

Pros: Great picture for the price. Compairs to the Samsung.

Cons: I had 4 dead pixels right next to each other in middle of screen. Warranty is a joke and won't replace unless its 8 or more.

Other Thoughts: Other reviews had dead pixels as well. If you can afford to gamble, you get an awesome monitor if it has no dead pixels when it arrives.

There. There are alot more on the reveiw list, but I am tired of copying and pasting.

You are a ****ing dumbass. Of course every mass produced product is going to have a few bad ones in the mix. Dont sort the review list by lowest rating. It has 181 reviews, and has 5/5 rating, sounds like a very good monitor to me, but dont take my word for it, I've only owned it 5 months:rolleyes: . 5.5% of the reviews give it a poor rating, while the rest give it an average to very good review.

Not sure how ignorant one can be, but you seem to be setting the standard.

Originally posted by KingAustin

3)Buying LCD's from a store isnt that great of an idea, they charge way too much. Newegg is a great company, but if you have a trust issue, then dont buy anything online.

The quoted statement is incorrect. Buying a LCD monitor from a brick & mortar retailer with a good refund/exchange policy is the best thing you can do.

Buying an LCD monitor online may very easily result in a huge aggravation right out of the box due to one or more dead pixel or sub-pixel. And if you get that then chances are most companies won't even RMA it for you so you are stuck with a POS monitor forever. Is it worth that huge gamble to save a few bucks for buying online - no way.

It's not the same as buying other stuff online. Other online stuff are not known to have inherent defects in many units yet they get shipped anyways, like LCD monitors do. Nor is it hard to get RMA for other products with defects in them, whereas with LCD monitors it can be next-to impossible to get an RMA for dead pixels or sub-pixels.

I have no problem buying most stuff online but when it comes to LCD monitors, buying online would be insane in my view.

KingAustin said:
You are a ****ing dumbass. Of course every mass produced product is going to have a few bad ones in the mix. Dont sort the review list by lowest rating. It has 181 reviews, and has 5/5 rating, sounds like a very good monitor to me. 5.5% of the reviews give it a poor rating, while the rest give it an average to very good review.

Not sure how ignorant one can be, but you seem to be setting the standard.

This is true, but to be able to accept the best, one must also accept the worst. I always sort the reveiws by lowest rating because I want to know the bad first, then the good, and see if it is worth the cost.

I never said the monitor was bad, in fact you are right: it is quite capable of doing what it is supposed to do, and look pretty good while doing it. I simply pointed out the most extreme flaws, while you pointed out the best points of the product, giving the potential buyer a great veiw of the good and bad.

Also, flaming me is reserved for PM's only. I would much rather have you talk **** to me in private than to crap up an otherwise good and helpful thread.

Navaros said:
The quoted statement is incorrect. Buying a LCD monitor from a brick & mortar retailer with a good refund/exchange policy is the best thing you can do.

Buying an LCD monitor online may very easily result in a huge aggravation right out of the box due to one or more dead pixel or sub-pixel. And if you get that then chances are most companies won't even RMA it for you so you are stuck with a POS monitor forever. Is it worth that huge gamble to save a few bucks for buying online - no way.

It's not the same as buying other stuff online. Other online stuff are not known to have inherent defects in many units yet they get shipped anyways, like LCD monitors do. Nor is it hard to get RMA for other products with defects in them, whereas with LCD monitors it can be next-to impossible to get an RMA for dead pixels or sub-pixels.

I have no problem buying most stuff online but when it comes to LCD monitors, buying online would be insane in my view.

Umm, you cant say my opinion is incorrect, thanks for trying to though. Most arent shipped with dead pixels and most can be fixed using a few simple techniques. I would like to know your definition of a couple bucks, because you must be really rich if you consider the price differences between brick and mortar stores and online "a couple bucks"

Paul_Wall_117 said:
This is true, but to be able to accept the best, one must also accept the worst. I always sort the reveiws by lowest rating because I want to know the bad first, then the good, and see if it is worth the cost.

I never said the monitor was bad, in fact you are right: it is quite capable of doing what it is supposed to do, and look pretty good while doing it. I simply pointed out the most extreme flaws, while you pointed out the best points of the product, giving the potential buyer a great veiw of the good and bad.

Also, flaming me is reserved for PM's only. I would much rather have you talk **** to me in private than to crap up an otherwise good and helpful thread.

Wasnt as much of a flame as it was a true statement. It helps the thread and all thread readers to beware your skewed views and invaluable input.

LCDs are great for gaming. I just got the Gateway 19" Widescreen LCD, and it is incredible. Buy it. Best Buy has it for $229. It supports DVI, and it is 720p, so you can connect a HD source to it. It is one amazing monitor. So bright; extremely clear(especially with the DVI cable).

KingAustin said:
Umm, you cant say my opinion is incorrect, thanks for trying to though. Most arent shipped with dead pixels and most can be fixed using a few simple techniques. I would like to know your definition of a couple bucks, because you must be really rich if you consider the price differences between brick and mortar stores and online "a couple bucks"

Sure I can say your opinion is incorrect, because it is illogical.

Even if most aren't shipped with dead pixels, if the original poster happens to get one that does have them he will be mighty sorry he bought online. It's a risk not worth taking.

In addition, most companies having policies of "we won't RMA it unless it has at least 8 dead pixels" prove that a ton of LCD monitors ship with dead pixels and they don't give a you-know-what about Joe Consumer who gets stuck with a POS monitor.

As far as "fixing" dead pixels, you can make no guarantees that those techniques will work. If they did always work and were legit then they would be recommended by tech support departments. But I guarantee no tech support department for an LCD monitor maker is gonna tell you to try to fix dead pixels yourself with "do it at home" techniques." That speaks to those "techniques" shady nature and unreliablity.

You are right I may have exaggerated a bit with my "few bucks" comment. I was trying to make the point that the extra money that a brick and mortar store will charge for an LCD monitor is well-worth the peace of mind that comes with it.

What's easier for the LCD monitor buyer: going through RMA **** and possibly never even getting an RMA at all, or taking a monitor back to a brick & mortar store and saying "This has a dead pixel, exchange it!" and having a new monitor in 5 minutes. The smart choice is crystal clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom