CRT vs. LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.
gurusan said:
I have purchased 3 LCD screens in my life...never had 1 dead pixel. Also don't most companies have a guarantee against that?

Also the main reason is that I like widescreen. ...1280 x 768 looks just fine

Where did you buy from? They wouldn't let me send mine back... I have just had bad experience with them. I believe that if you can get one from a store that will check it when you buy it, and you find one with a good high res, go ahead and get it. I will say this though: Never buy one online. Even if they have a guarantee that will allow you te send it back, It still isnt worht the hassle.

I use an LCD because a CRT is not kind to my eyes. I do a lot of Internet and word processing on my PC as well as gaming, and the first two things I mentioned are tedious on my eyes with a CRT monitor.

CRTs do still have a slight edge in gaming though. They do respond faster, and most importantly, if a game gets too demanding, you can just lower the resolution and it will still look good. An LCD for gaming is an investment, because you do have to upgrade your video card more frequently to keep up with the native resolution.

LCDs are far easier on the eyes. CRT users don't realize it, but if you switch to an LCD for an extended period of time, then switch back to a CRT, you really notice the harmful radiation you may not have noticed before.

EDIT: One more thing, try to buy your LCD at a local retailer rather than newegg. It may be more expensive, but its a lot easier to return if you dont like it or it has dead pixels.

o ok well i also use a laptop and the screen for it is a LCD screen. But the backlite is flickerin. Is that the screen or the power? and would bestbuy have monitors?

ambush said:
o ok well i also use a laptop and the screen for it is a LCD screen. But the backlite is flickerin. Is that the screen or the power? and would bestbuy have monitors?

Yes best buy has monitors. Check their website for their products (Bestbuy.com). Never go to best buy for anything else though, a monitor is the only PC part you can get there that will actually be worth the price.

LCD are probably more healthy for you.

Definitely do check for dead pixels before buying one, as the other poster said. If a store won't let you do that, don't buy it.

Dead pixels can definitely be a major pain the butt with LCDs. Originally I bought a monitor with no dead pixels then after 3 months of usage it magically acquired a dead pixel. I got so annoyed by it that I got an RMA (at first they didn't want to RMA it for just one dead pixel, and most companies probably won't do it at all, but I was able to get one by pushing).

The tech replaced the panel with a new panel and when I got it back I realized there was another, smaller dead pixel on another part of the screen. Also I had the stock box replaced with a crappy looking box even though I was specifically told I'd get the same exact box back that I left with them. :rolleyes:

Then I got a second RMA and this time they replaced the whole monitor with a refurbished one. As soon as I turned it on I noticed a light blue pixel in it which I was soon told was a "sub-pixel". That was even more annoying than the "dead pixels" the first two times!

I got a third RMA about the same thing. This time they sent me a brand new monitor from their office in the USA (I'm in Canada) and the box was really filthy when I got it but at least this one had no dead pixels or sub-pixels and has stayed that way for about 5 months of usage.

I'm dreading the day my LCD develops more dead pixels and I have to go through all that RMA nonsense again just to get it fixed.

Navaros said:
LCD are probably more healthy for you.

Definitely do check for dead pixels before buying one, as the other poster said. If a store won't let you do that, don't buy it.

Dead pixels can definitely be a major pain the butt with LCDs. Originally I bought a monitor with no dead pixels then after 3 months of usage it magically acquired a dead pixel. I got so annoyed by it that I got an RMA (at first they didn't want to RMA it for just one dead pixel, and most companies probably won't do it at all, but I was able to get one by pushing).

The tech replaced the panel with a new panel and when I got it back I realized there was another, smaller dead pixel on another part of the screen. Also I had the stock box replaced with a crappy looking box even though I was specifically told I'd get the same exact box back that I left with them. :rolleyes:

Then I got a second RMA and this time they replaced the whole monitor with a refurbished one. As soon as I turned it on I noticed a light blue pixel in it which I was soon told was a "sub-pixel". That was even more annoying than the "dead pixels" the first two times!

I got a third RMA about the same thing. This time they sent me a brand new monitor from their office in the USA (I'm in Canada) and the box was really filthy when I got it but at least this one had no dead pixels or sub-pixels and has stayed that way for about 5 months of usage.

I'm dreading the day my LCD develops more dead pixels and I have to go through all that RMA nonsense again just to get it fixed.

What exact monitor do you have?

KingAustin said:
Don't listen to paul wall. LCD's are way better than CRT's. If you get a dead pixel, there are ways to fix them. I'm running dual 19" LCD's, one from BENQ and the other from Tyris. I love them both. You dont have to worry about ghosting if you get 8ms or under monitors. Here is the Tyris one I purchased, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824224008

I highly recommend it.

You might want to read the reveiws on that particular monitor, they are quite bad. I still say that it is alot better to buy one in a store that will check for smudges and dead pixels, because more often than not, tech support is a joke, and it is always better to simply be able to take it back to the store than to have to deal with shitty customer service.

I never said that one or the other was better, I simply pointed out the bad experience I had with LCD's, and my personnal preference for CRT's. Like I said before, if you get a good res and good response time and a store that will check it before you buy it and allow you to take it back, by all means, get an LCD.

Paul_Wall_117 said:
You might want to read the reveiws on that particular monitor, they are quite bad. I still say that it is alot better to buy one in a store that will check for smudges and dead pixels, because more often than not, tech support is a joke, and it is always better to simply be able to take it back to the store than to have to deal with shitty customer service.

I never said that one or the other was better, I simply pointed out the bad experience I had with LCD's, and my personnal preference for CRT's. Like I said before, if you get a good res and good response time and a store that will check it before you buy it and allow you to take it back, by all means, get an LCD.

A few things about your post

1)I own the ****ing monitor, so dont tell me to read the reviews. It is absolutely amazing and the price is astounding.

2)It has a 5/5 egg rating on newegg, so I dont know what reviews you were reading. I wouldnt ever take any advice from you on this forum. You're new to the computer scene, your previous posts make it obvious and the advice you've tried to give already is bad.

3)Buying LCD's from a store isnt that great of an idea, they charge way too much. Newegg is a great company, but if you have a trust issue, then dont buy anything online.

So, in conclusion, buy an LCD, save desktop space, save electricity, save yourself from a hot room caused by the CRT, and dont listen to paul wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom