CRT vs. LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ambush

Baseband Member
I have heard from alot of different people, all around is that the CRT is better than a LCD or a LCD is better than a CRT.

Well, i am plannig on buying a monitor used for gaming, but dont know what kind i should get.

I also heard that a LCD wont last as long as a CRT, and also has a ghosting effect depending on how smal the number of MS there is on it. But doesnt a CRT has less viewabiltiy?

Just to let everyone know my budget for a monitor would be no more than 200$ at MAX.

Any kind of suggestions, and recommendation on which monitor would be best would be appreciated.

right now lcds r dropping price u might get a decent 17" Lcd for 200 cause my lcd price 2 weeks ago was 309.99 and it droped to 249.99 with rebates so i basically paid 209.99 after rebates the monitor has no ghosting and whatsoever its great my monitor is a sony sdmhs75p

Unless you can buy the LCD at a store that will check for dead pixels upon purchase, do not get one. I have had three shipped to me, all had under the screen smudges, huge clusters of dead pixels, and any LCD is hard to see from an angle.

CRT always has higher possible resolutions, it never has stupid problems like dead pixels, and you can get a 19" flatscreen CRT for plenty cheap.

Plus, you never have to worry about ghosting or response time, because CRT monitors just work. It is the oldest, most refined technology, and frankly, I would just wait till all of the kinks are worked out of LCD's.

gurusan said:
CRTs are deathray cancer boxes. LCDs aren't...you choose.

You can get cancer from almost everything: The sun, your headphones, your speakers, your car, certain metals, ect. You have nothing to worry about, if you actually get cancer from a CRT monitor, you're the only one I will ever hear o getting it.

...I wasn't actually serious.

however......they are ginormous...ugly as sin...inefficient...and DO emit a substantial amount of radiation.

gurusan said:
...I wasn't actually serious.

however......they are ginormous...ugly as sin...inefficient...and DO emit a substantial amount of radiation.

Yes, they are huge... yes, they are a bit ugly (depending on what you buy), and they do emit small amounts of radiation (not enough to effect you though), but they are not inneficient. They consume more power than an LCD, but what would you rather do: Have a screen that consumes more power, or pay more for a risky screen that can have irrepreble damage done to it before you even open the box (dead pixels U-S Smudges), you cant see it from all angles, and can't even go higher than 1280 x 1024 (That's all the res you'r getting for under 200, you have to pay alot more for res above that)? I choose CRT anyday... Unless you have a crappy desk that you can't fit one on :p.

I have purchased 3 LCD screens in my life...never had 1 dead pixel. Also don't most companies have a guarantee against that?

Also the main reason is that I like widescreen. ...1280 x 768 looks just fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom