Yay! I Got A Dremel!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hmm small pics

lol, crappy cellphone, got better close-ups...small resolution
but yes, it is installed in a dresser drawer, QUIET!! nearley silent when drawer closed, but it gets warm in there fast(the 3dfx voodoo3 2000 is a heater) processor is cool, but i got a 120m m fan ziptied to the sink, so it blows air thru it. next project: gut my stereo and put a pc in there!! its a panasonic sa-ak27 good luck, its hard to find a pic, ill link with an edit

from left to right: drawer(top) drawer(in), processor

Powersupply, seagate 40gb, western digital 80gb

unused 512mb chip o' ram, cd-burner, nvidia video card

thats what happens when a screwdriver falls into a computer

EDIT: as i promised, i would get a link, so here it is. its not english, o well, u can still decode it. 140w, 5disk cd, 2tape, aux in, seperated subwoofers, but volnob/scren/cd player is goin out, so im gonna use it for a pc case and see if i can still use the front lights and nobs, use cd-slot for dvd drive, put a lcd where the screen is on it right now for temps and so, its got awsome cooling capacty(from panasonic, its got 2 80mm fans in it, one on side, one on back places for more fans, nice and big, and its really light

my suggestion is get some scrap metal to practice on, even an old case. you definitely need to practice and experiment with different techniques to get a feel for it. my first attempt was absolutely shocking but now i'm confident enough to attack anything with my dremel without fear (i know if i screw something up i can fix it :p). i have absolutely slaughtered a useless ATX tower that i got for free in the name of practice, i've basically cut the chassis in half and completely butchered the side panel.

also to cut a circle from steel i find it's best to use a nail to scratch out a template. for small circles cut a square with the corners almost touching the inner edge of the circle then grind to the finished shape, also sand it clean and smoothe. for larger circles scratch out your template again then just cut a "polygonal" shape within the circle, leaving a mm or so between the cut and the edge, grind to the final shape.

Muahahah thanks for the advice guys! I certainly am working on a really old case...hmmm i'm gonna mod it like insane. I'm also practicing engraving on some peices of leftover plexi. After my Practice Phase im gonna mod my sister's dell...we'll see how that goes! Also is it normal for the dremel to be getting very hot around the grip? Even if i don't block the exhaust it still gets pretty dang hot...

also, one more note. when working with plastic, remember, it melts, so go a fast speed for like 2 or 3 seconds or till you can see it start to molt a lil, then pull back and wait for it to cool. personally i use tat flex-extender for it, get the dremel out the way(hang from ceiling) and get the garden hoze, and have water go over my cuts, that alwasy turns out lookn pretty sick. i modded an xbox case and fit a matx mobo, 1hdd, a full size cd drive, and a matx ps in it, and it was only about 1cm from closing nice and snug. i got a few pics around here somewhere, ill see what i can dig up

bmxfreakrider said:
how the heck do u do a 5post? i seen double but jez, 5? can we get a mod to delete the other 3(i edited this one to get rid of one)

I don't know, but you seem to be able to. :p

Plastic won't melt if you cut it right. You have to get a very thin cutting wheel, and go on the fastest setting. But, don't just try to cut through the whole layer at once. Lightly touch the wheel to the plastic and let the speed do the work. If you can, cut in a fashion so the wheel is cutting against the plastic and not with it.

Friction = heat. The less friction applied, results in less heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom