DS4 or DFI Infinity 975X??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoad

Daemon Poster
Hey,

I've got a major dillema, I could either buy the E6400 + Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4 which costs like 280$ or the DFI Infinity 975X for like 250$...

Now the main issues are, the gigabyte is chipset # 965, while the DFI is 975X which is supposdly somewhat better, but the gigabyte DS4 is known to be very very high quality while the infinity series is known to be inferior in quality[unlike the LanParty's], so what do I go with? the better chipset and perhaps lower quality or high quality guranteed with lower end chipset??

The prices are what they are in Israel, do not compare it to Newegg.

Tomorrow i'm going to be ordering [final, today I couldn't get to the store afterall] so its really urgent.

-Jo.

So your back to going C2D? I can't keep up :p

That is a tough one, but I have seen more consistent results on the DS4 over the DFI board. The DFI has shown some really good results as well, but I haven't seen many people use it TBH since the chips have gone retail.

Also, since your going Allendale, the 965 chipsets seem to be the better choice.

I would have to give the edge to the DS4.

Well its a tough call,

yes im going C2D because I was forced to forfit my water cooling loop :( my brother's a *****, he chickend out on me in the last day, he was supposed t obring me a w/c loop from petra but he was all like "noo im too scared from the airlines secuirty to arrest me for holding odd looking metal parts".... go figure, anyway I couldn't argue, so here I am left with a 250$ extra... why not C2D then? :) .

Anyways the main pro/cons list I can see is:

975x dfi has ICH7 southbridge, while Gigabyte has ICH8R [+1 to gigabyte]

dfi has Crossfire ready motherboard while Gigabyte has only 1 pcie x16 [+1 to dfi? Im not really gonna use that option anyway so I dunno.... :mad: ]

dfi has 975x while gigabyte has 965p...... [now I know 975x has better performance with E6600/x6800 but I don't know how it works with E6400 as nearly NO BODY used that motherboard.......(the dfi)]

the gigabyte is more known motherboard, and has alot of mods that has been found already, while the DFI is very unknown [heck I didnt find even 1 professional review on it...] and has no known mods yet(if ever will be found..) [+1 to gigabyte..]

BTW The DS3 and DS4 as basically the same Mobo with just phase power regulator diffrence right:??

-Jo.

Yoad said:

BTW The DS3 and DS4 as basically the same Mobo with just phase power regulator diffrence right:??

-Jo.
The DS4 also has dual PCI-e x16 slots, although I believe they can only run x16/x4 :confused: Possible SLI/Xfire with modified drivers?

The DS4 also has a cool heatpipe designed chipset cooler ;)

Other than that, they are basically the same.

I Guess its DS4 for the win this time... although I still dont get the southbridge diffrence......... I also don't understand the diffrence between 975X and 965P chipsets........ supposdly 975X is better but alot use of people prefer 965P and sometimes its even the more expensive chipset[like in my case]

-Jo

Idiotec, following what you say, all the VMods that are possible on DS3 should be the same on DS4?

And have you tried the vcore anti-voltage-droop mod?[the one preventing your Vcore voltage to droop..] if so, did it help you in any way?

-Jo.

Idiotec, following what you say, all the VMods that are possible on DS3 should be the same on DS4?
I don't know for sure. I haven't done much reading on the DS4 TBH. I haven't even found the board available in the US so I never really considered it.

And have you tried the vcore anti-voltage-droop mod?[the one preventing your Vcore voltage to droop..] if so, did it help you in any way?
I haven't tried it. Even unmodded though, my vdroop isn't that bad at all. I have 1.365 set in BIOS and its reading 1.36 in Windows.

Cool, can you tell me the ranges of voltages you can use on that mobo? and what VDimm is your ram works with on default??

-Jo.

Yoad said:
Cool, can you tell me the ranges of voltages you can use on that mobo? and what VDimm is your ram works with on default??

-Jo.
Vcore goes to 2.0 and vdimm from 1.8 to 2.4. Vdimm cap is a little limited, but not really for the 24/7 type of settings. 2.0 on the vcore is more than you would ever want, so no limitation there.

My RAM runs at 2.0. The DS3 boots at 1.8 vdimm, I am not sure if the DS4 is the same. This has been problematic for some sticks that won't boot with such low volts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom