DELL ripoff

Status
Not open for further replies.

4uvak

In Runtime
i bought laptop with 100GB hard drive
on start up i pressed F2 and it showed 98GB hard drive installed

when i go to my computer total space is only 66GB?

where is the rest??

Hey man at least its not blowing up on you LOL. I had a dell laptop 2700$ and the it was crap...unexpandable and the motherboard went 2 months out of warrenty.Anyway if its new my advice would be to send it back and get something decent.

For one, when you format a drive, you lose space because it's rated in gigaBITS. When you format it, it becomes gigaBYTES. 8 bits = 1 byte.

Windows OS takes up about 4 GBs, and if you had anything else installed when you purchased it, then more space is going to be lost.

under hard disk drives i have local (C) total space 66.6 free 50
and under D Backup i have 21.5free and21.5 total

can i save files on D?

4uvak said:
under hard disk drives i have local (C) total space 66.6 free 50
and under D Backup i have 21.5free and21.5 total

can i save files on D?

Yes you can. The only reason why you can't is if D is a CD/DVD drive or floppy.

when i go to my computer total space is only 66GB

Odds are it is in a restore partition. Very few system manufacturers' ship actually CDs anymore... they put everything in a seperate partition on the hard drive.

Of course, if your hard drive up and dies you are totally screwed...

yeah but D backup is empty it says it has 21.5 and 21.5 are free there is like 120kb are occupied and thats it
i think restore portion on C

all it is, is an image for the system to use in case the system has to restore itself to factory specs... most companies use Norton Ghost so they are super small. I dunno why the partition is so big though... usually the restore partition is only like 4-5GB or so... <shrug>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom