help!! p4 3.0ghz cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptrwinn

Beta member
I have a abit IC7 motherboard with a p4 3.06 barely overclock to 3.23 with a big swiftech heatsink and a variable speed control thermaltake fan up to 6000rpm. when computer is idle, i run the fan at 3000rpm and temp idles at around 50 C. when running sisoft sandra burn in cpu test for 30 times, it runs fine but cpu reaches temp up to 67 C. or when i encode 2 hrs or digital raw video, i once reached 70 C. my thermal paste is the artic silver 5. i'm not sure what i did wrong but maybe i put on the thermal paste wrong?? i evened the paste out on the heatsink with a credit card and that should do the trick. a fair thin layer of it... i tried everything, upgrading my power supply to 460w thermaltake, and also my case to the thermaltake xaser III.

what are the temperatures when the processor is running at stock? also what other fans do you have in your case?

ptrwinn said:
when computer is idle, i run the fan at 3000rpm

there is your problem, you are running the fan at half speed. crank it up to reduce you temperature and lengthen the life of your processor.

Re: Re: help!! p4 3.0ghz cooling

Soloman02 said:
there is your problem, you are running the fan at half speed. crank it up to reduce you temperature and lengthen the life of your processor.

that aint the problem at all... it may be a tiny bit of it but not all of it. When your computer is idle, the temp should go down even more then 50... Also, 6000 RPM's is fast. ITs also Very very loud. When i had my CPU fan atleast which ran at 6100 RPM's. I would go with watercooling. I have a aquarius III and you can ajust the fan from 2250-5550RPM's. I would go with a aquarius III. Right now as we speak, my temp is at 77.3 and thats when the fan is at 2250.

It really shouldn't be that high. I have stock cooling on mine which is also slightly overclocked and at idle, my P4 2.8 drops at 37 and goes up to 45-47 under full load (FAR-CRY full resolution all graphics maxed out etc...) Suggest you check your fan seating. If seated properly, remove and reinstall arctic silver (did you rermove the thermal pad from the fan if it came with one)
Also, check your case fans if any, some must blow air in and others air out for good heat exchange. (are yours all blowing in the same direction) I don't even have external fans and I'm a lot cooler than you.

Processor Heat

First of all, you need to make sure that your heatsink is seated correctly on the processor and that you have applied your thermal grease. Now big gobs of thermal grease is highly UNRecommended and may even degrade the transfer of heat from the processor to your heatsink.

With that clear, maybe you ordered a faulty heatsink, or a heatsink which isn't rated for your processor. Although that usually isn't the case.

Speaking of cases, your case's fans are important to circulating air and getting cool air on your processor (other components also.) Your case in some cases may be the problem, because of air flow and/or sometimes your case may be built of a heat attracted material, (or painted a certain color, black usually, but it shouldn't matter if it doesn't receive much sunlight.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom