Help!! how to get into my linux??

Status
Not open for further replies.

istevenson

Solid State Member
i have two operating systems on my computer, one is LINUX,
and the other is WINDOWS XP(prior to the Linux).
yesterday i formatted my C disk and reinstalled the windows OS.
now when i start up my computer, i can't find (get into) my LINUX.
What can i do??
Thanks in advance!!

thanks so much for your reply!!!
i only have the DVD driver and dont have the floppy or zip driver in my computer, consequently i didn't have the bootloader:(.
what can i do now?
somebody helps me!!

istevenson said:
thanks so much for your reply!!!
i only have the DVD driver and dont have the floppy or zip driver in my computer, consequently i didn't have the bootloader:(.
what can i do now?
somebody helps me!!

What do you mean you don' have a DVD, floppy or zip driver? You mean you don't have a DVD, floppy or zip device? Well you need at least a CD drive to boot into the Linux Rescue.

What distro are you using?

All the guide said is to get into a shell by booting off the Linux CD, log in as root, change directory to /mnt/sysimage

chroot /mnt/sysimage

type grub-install /dev/hda (hda if it's the first IDE disk, or sda if it's the first SCSI/SATA disk

You can find out by typing fdisk -l

Since you reinstall the bootloader, you'll need to tell it where the Windows partition is at, that's when you edit the grub.conf file or menu.lst.

Use vi

for example: vi /etc/grub.conf

press insert to edit the file, enter the line it said in the guide, press esc to escape, type :wq to save. Reboot, by typing init 6 and it should show up if you did it right.

TO Bruce:
thanks for the useful article you recommended. i read that article right now and gained so much. thanks.

TO Law:
thanks for your reply. what i said, i mean i don't have the floppy and zip device,but i have a DVD device.
i will have a try by the means you provided.
thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom