Dual Boot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexsabree

Fully Optimized
I need to put win98 and xp on the same hard drive...
What do i need to do to make it work properly, is it, and will it be stable?

Is this called dual boot?

Thanks in advance,
Alexsabree

To Dual Boot you need to partition your drive with Partition Magic or an application like that. That way it will be like having 2 hard drives in 1. this way you can install 98 on 1 partition and XP on the other without any issues.

or you use VM Ware Player, it is for free, you just have to search the i-net for a virtual machine.
With VM-Vare you can boot Windows 98 during Windows XP is running, you just have to switch windows :)

ok thanks guys... didnt know about the partioning thing.. but now i know

What about having one OS?? Does it need to be partioned?

If you use only 1 OS then you dont need to partition. But i still suggest it since this way if something were to go wrong an you had toformat you could keep important files and application installer on the other partition without fear of loosing them.

You can partition any hard drive any # of times. what i mean by the above is that if you have a Partition specifically for the Operating System and you store your applications and personal files on the other partition, you would be in better shape.

What i mean is since you will have 2 partitions. 1 with the OS and the other. So if something were to go wrong with the OS and you had to format you would only lose the OS partition. Not all your personal files and such. That way you could just format and reinstall the OS without having to worry about finding all of the application executables for things like Firefox and that since you could already have them.

The same can be said for drivers. If you store them on the other partition you wouldnt have to worry about having to find a way to download them and transfer then to the system. They would already be there waiting for you to isntall them.

This is just a more simple way to protect your info from loss incase the worst should happen. You should still back up but only like once a month compared to teh weekly backups i would suggest without a seperate partition.

Michael_R. said:
or you use VM Ware Player, it is for free, you just have to search the i-net for a virtual machine.
With VM-Vare you can boot Windows 98 during Windows XP is running, you just have to switch windows :)
are you sure vm ware player???

VMWare is just like running a application. So in a sense he is correct. You would just have to make sure that VMWare was teh active window and you could have control over the Windows 98 install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom