Solitaire is evil!

Status
Not open for further replies.

subdivizion

Banned
at my work, i was given the assignment of getting rid of the Solitaire game in Windows 2000 Professional. i am not their tech person but since i know quite a lot about pc's, i was asked that. i've tried the following that did not give results:

1) Add/Remove Windows Components. The choice for the games is not there! I tried bringing the option over from my own W2k pc and that didn't work.

2) Deleted the sol.exe file and everything referring to it. It just reappears when you search for it.

3) Got rid of the shortcut so they wouldn't find it, but they searched for sol and sound it.

4) Got rid of the Run option in Start Menu and delete all instances of sol.exe, emptied the cache of previous run files, and hid the sol.exe file. Then in the search options and folderddisplay options I unchecked Display hidden files. That worked for a while as noone in there knows how to find it. However, once the PC was restarted, the search was able to find the sol.exe since it wasn't hiddne anymore. I'm thinking of getting rid of the search option as well but how much can I hide it before some curious little shit finds it again?

Is there another way of removing Solitaire without reinstalling or formatting? (it's the server of the store) I didn't know Microsuck was so persistant in its games!

make it so you can see all files including system files then go to wour windows system file go to your .inf files click on sysoc.inf youll see games on a line and at the end of the line it will say hide delete the hide from the line and save now go to disk cleanup and go to remove installed windows components and it will now appear there for you to delete it

I know how you feel, their is a girl in one of my college classes that cannot stop playing it. How I finally stumped her was deleting sol.exe then created a newfile and renamed it sol.exe.

*Beware you may get a thousand yard stare afterwards.

mitch, reread my post.

brettc, i'll try that too, but wouldn't Windows automatically replace it again? as about the thousand yard stares, i don't care. i'm quitting that job next month.... haha :)

have you tried modifying the local policys for the machine? You can even prevent the execution of certain apps this way. Also, programs like Altiris, which is a monitoring app that is used more and more, can do the same thing.
Just to check, you have deleted it from c:\winnt\system32 and c:\winnt\system32\dllcache. Also you have removed the shortcut from the startmenu of all users and emptied your recycle bin.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom