Pentium D 3.4GHz vs. Conroe E6400 (2.13GHz)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Excelsius

Baseband Member
OK, I'm building a computer for an attorney and she needs it for office use. Nevertheless, some of her apps require a lot of memory. The system I'll be building will be around $600. I am a little puzzled about the processor: Should I get the new Conroe E6300 or 6400 (2.13 GHz) for $260 or Pentium D 3.4GHz for about $210? Conroe has great FSB, but isn't Pentium going to perform much faster due to the large frequency gap? I'm assuming that AMD isn't even worth considering since those suckers did not lower their dual core prices properly.

conroe

EDIT: AMD is still completely worth, conroe mobos are so expensive.

lower their prices? what do you mean? I just got a x2 3800 am2 for 149.00 if that isnt a proper low price, what is? did you expect to cut them by less than half of their price.

OK I need more info on the Conroe. Are you saying that E6400 is faster then the Presler 3.4GHz? What about E6300 (1.83GHz)? Is it faster than 3.4GHz as well?
The mobos for Conroe are a little confusing. It seems that the cheapest one on Newegg is around $90. The socket is the same, yet there seem to be different types

if anything... this is jsut for an office as you say.. you do not need a conroe for any office work.... i say you just build a socket 939 system for cheaper, and it will do anything you want it too, and you'll proably be able to buy 2 gigs of ram with the money you saved as well

No, today's professional office programs actually require a lot of memory. Adobe Professional and Creative Suite alone suck up a lot of power. Then there is the occasional entertainment. I want to build an up to date computer that can be used and upgraded for many years to come.
I'll be getting a 1 gig ram and a cheap graphics card (if it's not integrated in the mobo already), maybe for $50. I'll post my setup after I decide on the system.

yes.. and i have adobe professional and creative suite and i'm running 2 gigs of ram and a 3800x2 and run them switching between illustrator and photoshop often... and i don't make no little crap, just yesterday i was working on a 24x40 sized poster

but after reading how cheap you found a mobo, i'll agree to you with conroe... but don't take the 3800 x2's lightly.. your highly under rating them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom