outdoor computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are two problems I see off the top of my head. One being glare on the monitor, which would actually be quite a bit. Second, no more dirty movies! haha:p:p

I am very interested in this concept. I have a nice wireless home network and I'm a pack rat for old computer parts. I want to put togethor an old slow computer outta scraps. Around 500mhz range. I have an old monitor and some rather large 60 watt old pc speakers. It won't be a performance monster but it'll be more than powerful enough to run linux and stream my tunes to the patio. Looking around the net though I've really found no information or examples of other people doing this. There has to someone else who has done something similar and has some advice to pass on. Any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

no its fine in the winter here (fl it get sto like 60F at night) i open all the windows in my room and stuff and leav my computer on

here its wet to \, and winter is still techically rain season and we have terrible dew, but my comp is blowing out to

you'll have major condensation issues in FLA regaurdless of which way the fans are blowing... an outdoor computer would be an amazing project simply because of how dexterious the case/cooling would have to be.

One way to combat condensation would be to enclose the computer in such a way that it recycles the same air in a closed loop. the air would get quite warm, but that is the point. warm air will hold the moisture rather than collect on your components. you could set up a flexible ducting system from the exaust in the back and route it to the front. you could have a regular fan blowing on the ducting to cool it slightly before it is fed back into the pc. the important part is that the air doesnt get below (i'm guestimating here) 20*F below the initial starting temp. you would have to leave the computer running all through the night to ensure that it does not get chilly. thats when you will get into condensation trouble. you could only restart in the middle of the day.

This would be touch and go for the first few days. you have to make sure you are transfering enough heat before the air gets back into the case. there are many ways you can do this. extra ducting so the air has more time to cool, more fans.

Another way to ensure that the air does not become to cool, or too hot which would be just as bad, is to possibly fashion a crude tube-shell heat exchanger with a controled temperature coolant such as water with a heating element in it and a pump to flow the, say 60*F, water across the ducting. this way the air will always hover around 60-70*F. It will cool it when it gets too hot and heat it when it gets too cool.

the whole system would probably cost about $50.

The only problem is, one possible condensation (which you said it's usually pretty dry, yes?), and two, i'd think he's going to have a bit more dust/stuff in his case. Nothing out of the ordinary dust/build up, but it will just be increased.

Flies, mosquitos, spiders, other exotic animals found in that part of the world. I'm sure the moisture wouldnt be a problem, although probably the extremes in temperature from sunlight shining would make a clear case like a greenhouse, a black case like an oven, a white case would probably be the only way to do it although it would still get hot in there. Power could be a potential problem too, but what about accessories like monitor, it would be a pain up the butt to take them in and out all the time. But I do like the idea completely pointless as it is!

Ruan

This topic makes me wish so bad that I had the cash to even attempt to pull off a completely outdoor computer. The glare problem for the monitor could be taken care of with some sort of polarization...maybe. Or by making sort of a box around it for shade. Shade would mean no sun glare and that would be ok. I wish I was as rich as the people I work for. Then I'd do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom